Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post, thank you all for taking the time to read.

Have a 180ltr tank that will be stocked with Dwarf Mbuna all bought from local Malawi Dealer.

So far I have substrate and rocks pretty much sorted.

My problem is filtration, how important is 10times flow? I can get a JBL CristalProfi e1902 which sees me all good but would a eheim professional 4+ 600 at 1500lph do as good a job? Confused as to which one is best or does the flow rule?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I don't know those exact models, but I do try for 10x/h with hang-on-back filters. Maybe with canisters you can get by with less.
Number of fish, size of fish, amount of feeding, water change frequency can all be factors in calculating filtration.
I have one tank getting 8x/h, another 11x. They are the same filter brands. The tank getting 11x is generating more waste so I want more filtration.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank will be 100% stocked so waste will be high as will feeding all with dwarf mbuna though.

I'm leaning towards the Eheim only through quality of the brand but will only get 6/7 turnover max.

With the JBL will be 9/10 so spot on and can swap media out as required to matrix or different?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? 36"?

Why go with 100% overstocking? Filtration does not solve most overstocking problems.

For example, in a 36" tank I would go with small, peaceful mbuna like 1m:4f Cynotilapia zebroides Cobue.

Mbuna stocking options for a tank less than 48" long are very limited.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's 39" 16" 16"

Stocking will be a question I ask as there is so little I know I was looking at a group of Pseudotropheus Saulosi.
But wanted to go through filtration first as with habitat I feel I am set-up.
When I say 100% it's a question I probably would of worked on later during stocking queries.
So if the tank is say sensibly stocked would 10times be required of would I get away with 6-8?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
10X turnover is not related to how many fish you can stock. 8X will also work and you can get away with 4X but you will have to vacuum often.

With saulosi you could try for 3m:9f and see how it goes, but that is the only species I would try that with. All three males may or may not color up.

I have Eheim and Filstar filters...I prefer the Filstar.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the salousi I think a species only will still look nice and striking.

Appreciate the help and the filtration seems like I have options and open and not specifically on turnover.

Thank you,

Adam

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have a wave maker in my current set-up so that is always an option.

I have settled on a Fluval 406 and with the 4 trays I am looking to set-up mechanical, bio, bio, Chem. I will be using matrix and purigen.

Am I right in thinking that 2ltrs of Matrix for 180ltrs is more than enough as your tank can only create enough Bacteria for the tank volume?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I never use chemical filtration, and I usually use whatever media comes with the filter as it works perfectly well.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Matrix is nice and supposedly never needs to be replaced. 2 liters will do fine. And your sponges will be loaded with beneficial bacteria. I'd skip the chemical well, as DJ pointed out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all.

Appreciate the help 406 on the way stocking will be the next topic speaking to breeders this week and would like to put your way what they say see if it adds up.

Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts