Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you think a fluvial 305 and a fluvial 405would be enough for a 75 gallon mixed tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
What is the gallons per hour of each filter? I like about 7X hourly turnover in my tanks.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
600 gph sounds like decent flow rates for a 75g. I have 550 gph in a 55g and its just about right for me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I run just a fluval 405 on my 75 with doing 30% water changes weekly and have had no problems.

·
Registered
478 Posts
A lot of people run Eheim 2028s or 2217s on 75gs, whose flow rate is less, like 200-250 gph...is there sometimes a differnece between companies though? like perhaps even though the rate is lower the effective biological filtration can be higher?

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
I like the high flow rate to sweep debris off the substrate and into the filter. I think the biofiltration capacity is more driven by the media, but I think most filters have more then enough.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Cbone said:
So no wet/dry sump?
Wet/dry filters are a totally different animal as aerobic bacteria can better thrive in the trickling conditions where oxygen is abundant. Plus, they do not lose flow like canisters do.

The general rule of thumb for an "open" system is that 3x-4x turnover per hour is sufficient.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you have the room for it, why not?

The only concern that I would have is if the tank was not drilled, then you'd have to deal with the overflow/weir issue. Not too fond removing water from your tank over-the-side. Only had a sump once on a non-drilled tank. Had one of those CPR overflows with the aqua-lifter pump.

Even with the pump, managed to overflow the thing about once every 6 months.

You don't have to worry about this with canisters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts