Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm currently using a Fluval 305 on my 55g tank. In the tank I have the following

3 Yellow Labs
2 Red Zebras
2 Kenyi (may replace these if they cause a problem but so far so good)
3 Acei
2 Pictus Cats
1 Clown loach

The loach is a survivor from the previous setup, but I'm gonna find him a new home.

I'm using Black Tahitian Moon sand as a substrate.

I guess my question is, should I add another filter, or just a couple of power heads to keep the poop moving around so the fluval can catch it, which I think I may need to do anyway?

If so, suggestions on filters? I had some Penguin bio-wheels before, but I wasn't crazy about them, which is why I went to the canister.

Any other thoughts/comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would just add a powerhead. The 305 will do just great on a 55 gallon tank for filtration (I have a 305 on a 70 turtle tank, which is far nastier than a few cichlids).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
From a bio standpoint, there is no need for more biofiltration than the 305 provides.

My 70 (75 tank, not full) has so much bioload and the 305 handles it all - no ammonia, nitrites, ever.

Media options? there's 6 bloomin trays in that thing? What else you need? :)
You can bio-filter the entire tank in only 2 trays of biomax. Anything extra is usless unless you're getting your filter set to move to another tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all... I went ahead and just stuck and AC50 on it for extra flow and surface agitation. The only reason I got that instead of a powerhead was because they were out of the one I wanted.. lol

If nothing else, it's keeping poop from settling on the bottom much. Plus, I am probably going to get another smaller tank soon, so I can get the powehead later and use the AC50 on it then.

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad to hear the 305 is enough for the tank. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.