Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a Fluval 305 sufficient to filter a 55 gal tank? I also have UGJ. And is a UV sterilizer a neccesity?

thank you in adcvance

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had a 304 on my 55 gallon and it was sufficient. I assume the 305 will be as well. If you're overstocked, you may need something else, but it should be fine in general.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i would say, depends on the fish and stock levels, and amount of feeding, but id go with more to be safe (course i am a heavy stocker)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it's been a while but I hope someone replies...I have had the Fluval 305 running now with this setup for two years. It seems to be fine for this size and the 10 fish varying in size from 3" to almost 6" for some. My question is, should my filter get so dirty at the end of the month when I do my cleaning of it. I mean It's practically not pumping at all by that time. Would I have this problem if I got a larger filter?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
yes you will still that that problem, it just means your tank get really dirty and your filter is doing a good job of sucking it up, you need to try either feeding less or cleaning the filter more, see how that works

·
Registered
547 Posts
To have a Fluval 305 almost completely clog up in just a month is pretty severe. IMO, its a clear case of under filtering. Aquarium needs change over time as fish get bigger. What may have "cut it" in the past, may be insufficient now.

You will want to either get another 305, or replace yours with a considerably larger filter. I would go with a second filter method. 2 filters are a smart and practical way to filter an aquarium for various reasons.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Well, a properly sized canister(s) filter for a well stocked African cichlid tank could arguably be cleaned every 6 months without risk of poisoning the water or completely clogging the filter.

I know fmueller said he cleans his about every 6 months. I clean my every 4 for good measure, but some say you can disturb the bacteria colonies by cleaning it too often.

That's why I say you're under filtering your tank. Remember, the rule-of-thumb is 10x filtration (though some say 8x filtration and 10x for water flow) for cichlid tanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Using the 8x-10x filtration rule, that brings the numbers to 440GPH-550GPH.

Now, I don't now what your budget, preferences, or space requirements are, but as I mentioned earlier, I'd prefer 2 filters as opposed to 1 large one. I would use two identical filters for ease of use, setup, and interchangeability of media between the 2 canisters.

You could do two EHEIM 2217's though some will say that is too much and too pricey. You could do two Rena XP1's which would be more affordable.

Again, its up to you. You could chose 1 large filter if you wanted as well. The most important part is that you know generally what GPH you need to end up with to properly filter your tank. After that, you can peruse through the reviews section on this site to select which filter(s) you want to buy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Cento said:
You will want to either get another 305, or replace yours with a considerably larger filter. I would go with a second filter method..
Yes I did.... :p

Its totally up to you what you chose. What brand, and what type is the best is a whole other ball of wax and an unending string of threads (arguments) on this forum.... :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh ya on your 1st response...silly me :) Thank you. And when I clean them do I clean both of them at the same time or work it out where I am cleaning one at a time?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Probably one of the greatest benefits of having 2 filters as opposed to one large one is that you can clean them one at a time a few months (or several wks) apart.

That way you won't have to worry too much about destroying the bacterial colonies when cleaning your filter, because the other will be the backup. Also, another "pro" of having 2 filters is if one filter for some crazy reason fails, you're not SOL for filtration. You have one still running while you address the failing one.

With planning, a little thinking, and some research, you'll be fine, I'm sure. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great :thumb: I really appreciate all the input. I think I'll get a 305 along with my 304 so I can buy the same media for both.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you thats good to kno, but i feel it would be easier to get a second of the filter i already own :wink:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I got the new 305 now...where should I put the intakes and outlets? Should I put both intakes in the middle and an out in each end, or should I do in out in out across the back? Also I know the heater should be by the outlet so thats going to be tough to place. :-?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts