Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 4 foot by 1 foot by 18 inch high tank with lid/lights, a heater, and a top fin HOB 60 (for 50 bucks), going to put in the garage as a breeder tank....either for my mbuna when I get tired of them, or for my female haps/peacocks that get weeked from my all male tank....

my question is what kind of filtration will I get from the HOB 60? I don't want to have to buy another cannister filter, and was wondering if I just added a fluval 3 internal filter would that suffice for 10-12 female haps/peacocks or 20 mbuna?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Careful with the topfin Hobs with sand. They are on the lower end. Your definitely gonna need another filter if you are shooting for 10x over. Another penguin 200 or 250 would do the trick. I would get some sponges to put over the intake for the fry. The 60 is rated at 300 gph . Good luck and let us know what you got. Sponge filters and a power head is another option you could take as well .

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was planning on going bare bottom with the top fin 60 on the tank...and some overturned flowerpots and PVC sections for the fish....I also have 3 spare fluval 3 internall filters...

I was planning on doing 2 fluval 3's in my 4' by 15" by 15" and this new tank is actually 4' by 12" and 20" high....

Would it be better to do the two fluval 3's in the shorter tank? And the taller thinner tank with the HOB and one Fluval 3 internal? Or vice versa? The taller tank I am going to do all males because the footprint isn't as important as the tank I may breed in.

Also, for the HOB, i'm imagining its a good idea to stuff as much bioballs and macaroni tubes in there as will fit, in addition to some filter floss...same with the fluval internals right, some sponge but mostly bioballs?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I second the idea of adding the sponge filters and an air pump. with no substrate, the sponges will give a place for bacteria, and the the air will help with circulation/oxygenation in a hot garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts