Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use the Rena xp3 canister filter and a penguin powerhead in my aquarium is this enough filtration or not and what would be another filtration system to use.

G

·
i always suggest a sponge filter... i have them in all of my tanks... generally speaking the sponge will provide sufficient biological filtration for the whole tank... and the others just provide good water movement... alot of people dont even use carbon anymore... im switching over to not using it also...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
cichildlover27 said:
I currently use the Rena xp3 canister filter and a penguin powerhead in my aquarium is this enough filtration or not and what would be another filtration system to use.
A lot depends on how heavily you're tank is stocked. At 350gph the XP3 should be adequate to the task.
Just as important, if not more so, would be your water change schedule; you can't filter out nitrate.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
GTZ said:
cichildlover27 said:
A lot depends on how heavily you're tank is stocked. At 350gph the XP3 should be adequate to the task.
Just as important, if not more so, would be your water change schedule; you can't filter out nitrate.
x2 - You can never "over-filtrate". My 90 gallon is an example of that; running an eheim pro ii 2026 canister, AQ 110, and an AQ 50 and still doing weekly 40-50% water changes... Will be replacing the AQ50 with a 110 once I get it from a buddy of mine (Getting out of the hobby and giving me his 55, 125, and AQ110 and diatom filter)...

But do keep up with the WCs, the fish will be happier, water will be clearer, fish will grow faster, and will make for a more enjoyable experience on your part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do water changes every week but just trying to get my water more clearer like a lot of the videos I see. Just want to know if I need another really or not. My fish are happy and fun to watch. I have had several fish since i started my tank last May.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts