Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120gal and have a marineland 360 can. and a power head set up . the fish are fine but wondering what would be good with the 360, I keep reading about hob and I'm assuming that is a back pack . so is that a definate for breaking up the surface water . any suggestions would be great . my tanks have made it for years but after looking on this site I think I need a better setup I just got the marineland hooked up and am trying to get my tank filtration better.

-------------------------------

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "backpack" but HOB is hang-on-back like AquaClear.
I run two AquaClear filters on my 135 - not for water surface movement but for more filtering and the peace of mind that if one filter quits I am not in trouble.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You could get a HOB filter (hang-on-back), but I'd just get a larger, more efficient canister filter.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I use 2 Emperor 400's HOB on my undrilled 180 along with 2 other canisters and 1 on my 55g. It's rated for 400 gph (empty) but does a nice job with bio and some mechanical filtration. It also comes with an empty media container that you can use to add the media of your choice. I use pillow stuffing for water polishing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and for the HOB hang on back which is what I was refering to as a back pack, for some odd reason ! So Glaneon mentioned a larger canister ? like the 5oo series maybe ? I thik I will check into that and also an HOB thanks fo the input .

--------------------------------
120 g 360marineland can. and a powerhead with air strip
aciai ,regal peackock , ice blue peackock electric yellow ,red zebra ob
hap, sunshine peackock , and variouse mbuna 4 female alonacara
-----------
65 gal
cascade 500,& a power head
electric yellow fry , zebra fry ,electric blue fry ,2 keyhole ciclids

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fluval, Eheim, Rena... the marineland canisters don't seem to have the bio capacity but do really well on mechanical

·
Registered
173 Posts
why not get a second canister. Rena are cheaper then fluval and eheim. and are rated decent. but 2 canisters instead of one is were I would go.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
As standard operating procedure, unless there is an overflow, I use HOBs for break up the water surface. Not for oxygenation, not for mechanical or biological filtration, but to keep the protein buildup down on the surface of the water. Both of my 55s run a can, a HOB, and a powerhead for current. If the filter comes with media, I'll use it until it is depleted, then leave it empty. I suppose I could start shoving a bunch of filter pad in there just because I can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah the Eheims seem to be fair and have seen them used a bit . Im gonna look into another filter for our tanks . Does the size of the HOB seem to matter or could I just use one from an old ten gal.
thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i would not go with a HOB filter. they make a lot of noise compared to the canister filters. i would get a Rena XP3 to add to your current filters. i have 2 of them and love them. cheap for the price and work great. cant here them at all. i have to look in my tank to see the water movement to tell if there still running, and they have never quit in years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
regal120gal said:
Does the size of the HOB seem to matter or could I just use one from an old ten gal.
depends what you need it for and who your asking :wink: If you are looking for just breaking the surface then no doesn't matter about size. one for a 10 gal would not move alot of water. So i would look at a bit bigger then that. As far as HOB making noise most of mine are relatively quiet. Aqua Clears are hands down the quietest I have dealt with but a whisper is right up there with it. But if you want mechanical filtration then I suggest going with a bigger one. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you just want to break the surface, get a cheap powerhead. Moves a lot more water, less maintenance.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Make a spray bar and point it toward the surface.

·
Banned
406 Posts
If your canister is doing a good job at cleaning your water and handling your bio load you dont need a HOB. If you just want surface movement I agree, make or buy a spraybar and point it slightly towards the surface.

Or you can also get a powerhead just as a maxijet. They also sell sponges for them so they act as a mini filter too. Theyre cheaper than a HOB and much quieter! HOBs are noisy, I dont care what anyone says. :popcorn:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right on ! I now have had the marineland 360 going for about a week and my wife and I have noticed how clean it is , so it is definatley working . Also I have a power head with a sponge ,does that seem to be sufficent ? it does look realy clear . Now we are looking into a canister for my wifes tank . Thanks to the feedback on here .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.