Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyobdy, it's been about two years since i've had my tank up and running, and I will be starting it up again in about a month. I was just wondering what kinds of filters you would recommend (I plan on keeping 6-7 Cyno. sp. "Hara" and 5-6 Met. sp. "Zebra Gold"). I definitely want filters that are not complicated and easy to maintain. Also, would you guys reccomend a power head, or water circulation unit?

(I do have the old fluval 404 canister from a couple years ago-hiding in my attic somewhere-since it's been out of use for so long should I buy new ones to be safe? From what I've read it seems like HOB's are much easier to maintain, I know that the fluval was quite confusing for me).

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most recommend a canister filter as well as a good hob(hang on back). I use two fluval c4 hob's on my 55 gallon and the water is crystal clear. Just remember your fish will love clean, clear water.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you do use a canister? Or just the two hob's? Are there any canister filters that are relatively easy to use? Also, would a power head be a good thing to have?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I would use the 404,what was confusing you about it,I would say thats all you would need for filtration,maybe a small hydor korilia,or maxi-jet on the other side

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright sweet! i guess i'll just have to read the manual haha. Is there a cheaper way to get media? or would i just have to buy it from the LFS?

·
Registered
141 Posts
newforestrob said:
I would use the 404,what was confusing you about it,I would say thats all you would need for filtration,maybe a small hydor korilia,or maxi-jet on the other side
+1
Use that old 404 . As long as it works and does'nt leak then you should be good to go . I would definitely add the Koralia powerhead.....your fish will love the flow and the oxygen from the surface agitation .

·
Registered
141 Posts
codyDjung said:
Alright sweet! i guess i'll just have to read the manual haha. Is there a cheaper way to get media? or would i just have to buy it from the LFS?
Media online is always considerably cheaper than most LFS . I try to support my LFS as much as I can ........but I can't justify paying double for items at LFS .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would definitely add the Koralia powerhead.....your fish will love the flow and the oxygen from the surface agitation
Ok, it sounds like i'll save a lot of money by using the 404,but do you know where I could get a koralia powerhead for cheap?
And thanks for the tip about getting filter media online supadave

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
codyDjung
where I could get a koralia powerhead for cheap

In the G.T.A. we have a few online classifides sites,If I need something I usually check those first

1 - 9 of 9 Posts