Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am new to Cichlids and have just converted my 84lx30wx20h marine tank with 36x24x12 sump. I have set it up for mbuna and have 300kg of limestone, i've just added 26 small Metriaclima sp. Msobo.

My filtration consists of a theiling rollermat for mechanical filtration followed by 30L of siporax stacked in crates and a bag of purigen, return is a 3500lph Fluval sp2. I also have space in my cabinet for a 75l brute bin to run K1 media but i can't decide if it's a good idea. Any thoughts please?

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Well, it's not like having too much filter media will cause any problems. Only you can spend a lot of money without return. What your fish absolutely need is enough surface area for beneficial bacteria to settle on, and enough aeration to allow those bacteria to turn NH3 to NO2-, and NO2- to NO3-. The surface area you probably already have with the limestone, and with any sump system there is usually more than enough oxygen getting in the water. Mechanical filtration is for you, not for the fish.

Filter media are a product with high profit margins, and there is a lot of bogus advertising. In a nutshell, they all work, so it's an area where you can save a lot of money by buying the cheapest without missing out on anything.

Siporax is good. Ceramic noodles are a classic filter medium with a good surface are. They have been around since the 1970s and are maybe the first biological filter medium to be marketed as such to come on the market. The tiny pores close easily when they get dirty, which means they aren't any better than plastic rings. The following statements from the marketing spiel are just pure baloney:

- Sera Siporax Professional is therefore the only filter material that cleans itself biologically.
- Due to the special pore structure, Sera Siporax Professional develops its own ideal water current.

There is no basis for any of these statements.

https://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/prod ... ional-15mm

Purigen in my opinion is all marketing hype. Biological filtration removes everything that Purigen is supposed to absorb. So why absorb it?

Baseless marketing claims:

- Purigen® generally ignores simple elemental compounds.

There are no "elemental compounds". A compound is a substance formed from two or more elements. That means something is either a compound or an element, but never both. That kind of pseudoscientific babble is credibility reducing.
Also, the "regeneration with bleach" is the same process that happens when you bleach dirty filter socks - or a bed sheet. Nothing special about it.

https://www.seachem.com/purigen.php

K1 Media are just plastic shapes that can settle with bacteria. They have as good a surface area as ceramic noodles. I reckon one is just as good as the other. Use what's cheaper.

Unfounded marketing claims:

- As the K1 Media moves within the filter, it causes the old dead bacteria on the outside to be displaced.

It is highly doubtful whether bacteria will die or even rub off because the noodles bump together. Regardless, the bacteria will go through their natural life-cycle irrespective of what medium you use.

http://evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/K1_Media.html

Again, they all work, but one bio filtration medium is just as good as the other. Don't sweat it. In my opinion you have plenty enough, but if money is no issue, and you feel better is you throw in some more, there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the in depth answers, most appreciated. The Theiling Rollermat, Siporax and Purigen i already had from the shut down of my marine tank so it made sense to make use of those. I decided to go with the K1 as i believe you can't have too many forms of filtration and it's a proven product being used in everything from aquaculture to water treatment plants, the other plus is the 70L per minute of air being pumped in to the bin/filter to boil the media and create lot's of surface gas exchange. Total overkill i know but what good is a sump if it doesn't look like a science project :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I agree with FMueller. Some of my filter trays have plastic scrubbies.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fmueller said:
Purigen in my opinion is all marketing hype.
On one site, it has a 4.5 star rating with over 1,200 reviews of people going on and on about how fantastic it is, many with before and after pictures that are jaw dropping in contrast. So you've got the hype, and you've got hundreds of end users swearing by it. To the uninitiated, it makes buying the stuff a no brainer.

It took awhile, but I finally achieved that crisp, crystal clear look in my aquarium that I saw in many of those Purigen review pictures. I would likely still be using it (and a ton of other stuff) had I not found this site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.