Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in beginning stages of planning for a large 1,200 gallon tank of Lake Malawi Cichlids.
Anticipated size is 10'L x 4'H x 4'L which will be overstocked to help with aggression.

LFS says to use 3-4 Eheim 2262s. Doesn't seem like enough to me. But my only
experience is a 210 gal which I had 2 FX6s and a 1500 GPH power head at the surface.

A friend suggested a better choice might be a trickle filter. I would also plumb
an overflow from the 150 gal sump to a drain. Then add a drip into the tank for
apx 25-50 gal/day water change. I know I'd want 2 pumps, but how big?

Is the LFS right? Is my friend's idea right? Is there an even better idea?

Pros and cons ?

I want this to be setup right as it's my dream tank and probably my last one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't have the answer for you but the King of diy on Youtube probably does. It's worth checking it out. He has mega tanks and many monster fish and cichlids and he shares how he builds his tanks.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
A sump would be the way to go.
I run two Eheim 2262's, one 2217 and two Koralia 1500's on a 210.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's about what I ran on my old 210.

Never having had a sump, guess I'm a tad intimidated by the thought.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I would be intimidated by the water changes : )
I do 50% weekly on my 210 and it takes an hour to drain and 30 mins to fill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's why I will use an auto drip with an overflow. That way my water changes will be auto daily.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
1200 gallon tank? Wow!
That size aquarium is approaching the 'municipal class' of very large (public display) aquariums. And, if you're gonna set this thing up like the 'King Of DIY' did? You actually install what will be a VERY NOISY filtration system in a Separate Room from the aquarium! There is piping run to and from the aquarium - you can achieve a LOT of noise reduction that way from the display area.
Yep.
Fluidized bed filtration set up as part of a sump system would be the way to go I guess, if you want 'THE ULTIMATE' level of biological filtration for this Monster Aquarium. And, a reservoir fed, 'semi-automatic' water change/overflow system for the aquarium could be rigged up pretty simply that way with a sump to work with.
The 48 inch high (depth) dimension for this beast is gonna make it well, challenging.... to get into this tank, and do much with algae cleaning, adjusting the rock work or doing much with the fish stocked in it. But, it should look absolutely stunning when set up and running. 8)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts