Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question, i hope someone has an answer.

i just setup and added fish to my new 75 gallon. i have a sand substrate which i am starting to have mixed feelings about. i love the look, but the problem is i have a 6 inch pleco who is a COMPLETE FILTHY MESS. it is unbeleivable how much waste he makes in a one day period. i wake up in the morning, after doing a wc the day before and the whole bottom of the tank is covored. sand looks great but the waste just sits on top and looks disguisting.

i dont want to have to gt rid of the pleco, i like him and he cleans up the algae real well, but i cannot do a wc every day and i dont want the other fish living in piles of pleco waste.

*** tried positioning my 2217 spraybar on the side of the tank to blow water towards my ac110, but the waste finds spots where water flow cant get to it and it puddles.

i know im not the first to have this problem, and i wont be the last but i need to do something soon, i cant take it.

any good suggestions?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the same problem with all my 6" or larger fish. Even my oscars will produce a lot of fish waste. I'm not sure if there is a simple answer especially when you are using sand.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Even if you change the substrate, there will still be waste from the pleco, might not be as noticeable, but it will still be there. I'm guessing it's a common pleco and they are ammonia machines. You might want to switch out the common pleco for a bristlenose or rubbernose because they don't get as large and their waste therefore isn't as large. You could also put a powerhead in the tank positioned in a way to help move the waste back up in the water so that the filters can catch it. This is the reason that a lot don't like the common pleco, is the size of the waste they produce in the tank.

·
Registered
253 Posts
UGJ's work fairly well for me. You have a sand substrate and there is no area for the stuff to fall down. But with UGJ's you can push all the stuff back up at your filter. Build those. Trust me. Its a cheap project.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd try powerheads first, then UGJs if you want a DIY project.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I get it all the time from my plecos. I also have sand as my substrate. When i did have gravel it was less noticeable but my nitrates were hard to handle due to the poop sinking to the bottom, despite vacuuming. I like sand because it holds the waste on the surface and is easy to clean and nitrates are easily kept under control.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Try putting a powerhead in upside down. This will keep the water moving at the bottom of the tank - just a thought :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
powerheads are pretty cheap, so i think i will try that first. i have good water circulation, just a few spots where waste piles up. if i can arrange a power head near those spots, maybe it will be ok. i do have an air pump tht isnt in use right now. would i be able to rig that in any way to help? any way to save a few bucks....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts