Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I finally set up my 75 gallon Mbuna tank. I currently have 1 Oase 600 Biomaster (350gph) but want to add another filter. I was thinking of another Oase but a smaller 250 or 350. The 250 is 250gph and the 350 is 300gph. Is it worth the extra money to get another 50gph? The media baskets on all the Oase Biomasters are huge, and are a pleasure to maintain. Just want to hear some thoughts. I have the 250 coming tomorrow but starting to think the 350 would have been a better choice to gain another 50gph but is it worth the extra $75?

I currently have 12 Mbuna (Yellow Labs, Jalo Reed, Rustys and Socolofi) and one Pleco.

·
Super Moderator
40,713 Posts
I would say it is worth it even if only for the scenario where one filter is down and the 2nd one is being used to support the tank during the backup period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say it is worth it even if only for the scenario where one filter is down and the 2nd one is being used to support the tank during the backup period.
Thanks DJ. Good point, along with a larger 200 watt heater and the extra 50 gph I think its worth the extra $$. While the Oase Biomasters lack the flow of say a FX-4 or 6 the ease of having the heater integrated into the filter and have a pre-filter that is easily removed with breaking open to main housing of the filter were selling points for me. I tried a FX4 and didnt like it...flow was great but all those screw tighteners, residual water spilling out of the inlet/outlet quick connects when servicing the main canister were turn-offs for me. These Oase Biomasters are very easy to service and super quite. Wish they had a bit more flow but like anything there are trade-offs vs. each product. I think the 600 @ 350gph (probably really 200-250) and the 350 @ 300gph (probably only 100-150) will be enough filtration for the 12 Mbuna, the Pleco and a small painter turtle, who will be released into our pond late next spring.

·
Super Moderator
40,713 Posts
Sure spacing matters. You want intake flow over the entire floor to suck in debris. Mine are 1/4 and 3/4 along the length of the tank. I have the returns directly over the intakes. Your placement may vary as long as you minimize dead spots.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts