Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a 120gallon tank this weekend and it is awesome.

Anyway, Rigth now I just have some of my other filters from other tanks filtering it right now and it seems to be doing really well.

I have 2 Emperor 400 filters and 2 Emperor 200s on it as well. *** read that 10x your gallons is the GPH you need to achieve and I have done this exactly. However, I always see sumps of wet/dry filters for a tank this big - do you think my filtration solution will work? It was an undergravel filter that I have hooked up airlines too that seems to be helping as well. Again, my water levels are perfect and the water is really clear, but its only been up for less than a week.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
as long as you have 10x turn around you should be fine. People use sumps and wet/dry to limit the amount of inlets that you see when you have 4 HOBs on the tank. Another thing is that you get better bio filtration with a sump or wet/dry, but the two 400's modified (directions are in the library section should be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
5 to 10 times gph is good. Also if you think its not enough to filter your tank, you can always do more frequent water changes.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
sump with wetdry is the best way to go for bio filtration, especially on a large tank. It can be cheap if you DIY

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just picked up a 120 as well and I'm going to only use a wet dry filter. Although I'm going to have between 10-20x turnover rate, depending on what I limit my pump to. It was easy for me though as my 120 has dual corner overflows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i would do a diy canister and/or diy wet/dry sump. this way you customize and tailor each to your own needs and not mention its cheap. theres plenty of design ideas in the diy forum, just search.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts