Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank for africian cichlids. Based on what rocks and other materials we are putting in the tank for structure I should be dissapating approx 5 gallons of water. We are not looking to crowd the Tank somewhere in the 8 to 10 fish range. Now my question, is there a filter out there (canister) that can be purchased around 150$ that will work for the setup. I dont want to under filter but i am on a budget with the construction to install the tank in the wall.

here is my original post and links to build photos...
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=173030

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go on Ebay and look at the fluval fx5 filter. You will be able to get one for close to your budget. I have a fx5 and a xp3 on a 72gal and they work well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just got a fx5 from ebay for my 75 and I love it so far. It is paired with a magnum 350 that came with the tank. It would be fine on its own though.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
If your looking to install a 75 gallon in the wall the only Canisters new with media that are going to run under $150 are..

Cascade 1500, Marineland C-360, and Eheim 2217.

Personally I would get Eheim because of quality, but for a 75 gallon tank only one filter is kinda not the best thing.

If your really crunching on money for that job, buy used in the local area, check craigslist or ebay.

FX5's typicall run in the $200-300 range and you still need to get additional media to fill the baskets that will more likely run you about $20-60 depending on what brand and what type.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice and tips...I actualy got lucky Petsmart matched the prices online so i got the Rena XP3 and the 300w smartheater for 158$ today now i just have to set it all up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.