Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have beed doing a lot of reading and research as to the pro's and con's of HOB and canister filters. I am going to be setting up my 55 gallon tank soon. I was leaning towards getting a canister but it seems like the common issue/complaint with canister filters is they can become clogged which can inhibit the flow of water, etc. I have 2 dogs, one of which is a white german shepherd. Her hair gets EVERYWHERE!! Yes, there is a lid to the tank but hair can still manage to get in there. How big of an issue is clogging with canister filters? At this point I think I am leaning towards getting 2 HOB filters. What are thoughts on the various brands? Aqua Clear VS. Marineland(Emperor/350, etc.)?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering purchasing an Aqua Clear 110. The tank came with a Marineland Regent filter system, similar to the Emperor 400 but without bio-wheels. This tank was bought used and this regent filter was what the previous owner used. I figured between these 2 I should get good filtration. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a 55 gallon tank and I will probably buy the Aqua Clear 110 which is for up to 110 gallon tank. I currently have a Aqua Clear 20 running on my 12 gallon. I can always put that on the 55 for a little extra filtration or put the older Marineland Regent on aslo. So I have some options and it sounds like i'll have plenty of filtration.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 12 gallon tank I have was an ecipse system and it came with the biult in bio-filter system similar to the marineland HOB filters. It died eventually and rather than replace it I went out and bought the Aqua Clear filter. It has done a much better job than the marineland system ever did so I think it's worth the extra money especially with a much larger tank(for me anyways). I will probably use the Regent in conjuction which is very similar to the Penguin it just only has the 2 filters rather than bio-wheels as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.