Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to start up a 150 gal tank. I plan on using a FX5 full time and adding an Emporer 400 HOB. My question is can I turn the HOB of overnite? (due to noise concerns) And will that kill the bacteria if no water passes over the wheels for 9 hours?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
My question is can I turn the HOB of overnite?
Not a good practice. Things may go anoxic and anerobic processes may get started. That'd be my biggest concern. Not all of the bacteria would die off though. Can you cover it overnight with something to deaden the sound a bit?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Maybe consider an Aquaclear instead? So long as the water level in the tank is high enough, there's no splashing, just the hum of the motor. I'm not sure if this could be accomplished with the Emperor?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Get a good filter and let it run 24/7.

I would strongly advise buying whatever HOB filter you want from a LFS with a good return policy. Noise levels are very subjective.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prov356
Ok - turning off is out.

GTZ
When I had the emporers running in my last foray into fishkeeping I had to keep the water level high as you suggested, will do again and see if I can keep the vibratory noise down with cleaning, holding plastic in place or by whatever means (wasn't as big a deal before as the location didn't disturd us, but can't place tanks there anymore ((not in keeping with my wifes decorative ideas)).

Dotbomb,
You may be right in the end. New filter may be the only anwer.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
GTZ said:
Maybe consider an Aquaclear instead?
I was thinking the same thing

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have two AC 30's on a 20 long in my bedroom, can hardly even hear them. Very quiet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.