Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 55gal tank. I moved 6 small convicts, two 4" tiger barbs a small silver dollar and a 4" Cory Cat. Not my choice of fish but they were in the tank. I used Bio Spira and some of the gravel and decorations from the old tank to set up my new tank. The previous owner had a Penguin 350 that I also moved with the Bio Wheels and filter cartridges in tact. I have purchased an XP3 to set up on the tank. I am not sure if I should wait a week or so to be sure the Bacteria is established or just go ahead and set up the XP3 now. My tank has had fish in it for 24 hours and the ammonia and nitrite are 0 the nitrates are about 3 ppm.

Thanks for the help!
It's great having a chance to ask folks with experience what to do. :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Go ahead set it up. The Penguin 350's bio wheels are already live with bacteria as long as they didn't dry out. Same with the gravel and decorations. But if those bio-wheels, gravel and decorations dried out you lost your bacteria.
Despite that the Bio-spira was a good call and will help accellerate your bio-cycle. By adding the canister on now bacteria will begin to establish itself there as well. I always say you can't have enough filters. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts