Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time reader, first time posting.

I am getting back into the hobby after 10+ years (a lot has changed) as far as equipment. I am setting up a 90 gallon cichlid tank and already have a new Fluval FX6 for it. I have seen many of the YouTube videos and read many posts where people are using multiple canister filters. I was wanting to get some feedback on what is another good filter to run with or compliment the FX6. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
153 Posts
At 90gal you may be fine with just the one filter.
I ran an Eheim 2080 on its own for a good few years on a 100gal Mbuna tank with no issues. Just another powerhead for added circulation.

·
Registered
767 Posts
With out question!!!! another fx6!!!! It would only make sense to have two of the same, much easier than trying to keep materials for two different filters.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was doing fine with one filter on my 75g, but when I added the second one the need to change it dropped considerably. Where I once changed the filter every two to three weeks, I now go 6 weeks plus between changes, it's awesome.

I too, decided to go with a matching brand and model and moving forward (once I upgrade,) I will do the same thing. It simplifies things but having two different models isn't a deal breaker, either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
An FX6 is a big filter and can likely run your 90 just fine by itself. It depends more on your stocking and bio load than anything. People running multiple huge expensive filters on smaller tanks generally are overstocking and are happy to do the extra maintenance. You should just use the FX6 at the start and if you find you have to do too much maintenance, look into a second. It does make sense to have two of the same (or an FX4 but it's almost the same price) just for supplies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts