Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of gathering equipment for a new 55 gallon mbuna tank. I've been doing a lot of research and my current plan is to splurge for the fluval fx6. It won't fit under the stand, but we can just build a sort of modified end table to cover the filter. Anyways, I am looking for an additional filter to seed a 10g quarantine tank. I bought a kit that comes with a cheap HOB, but I'm sort of looking into getting a sponge filter with a small powerhead. Can anyone recommend a powerhead that isn't too powerful for such a small tank? I don't really want the noise of an air pump. Or if this really won't work, what is a suitable alternative? If the HOB will work just fine for this purpose, I could just use that as I have watched a few videos and it doesn't seem too loud. I think its a Top Fin silentstream.

Open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What is the GPH of the HOB. If it is 8X GPH then it should be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have been more specific. I got a cheap kit for the quarantine tank. It's a measly top fin silent stream. I'll have enough filtration for the 55 gallon I'm just looking to seed the QT tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I think you said the cheap kit for the 10G has a HOB. What is the GPH for the HOB?

IME the easiest way to seed a new tank is to run the filter for the QT tank on the established tank.

I don't use or recommend powerheads. I agree that sponge filters and air pumps are noisy. I do use HOBs for the smaller tanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
The Top Fin Silenstream filters come in different sizes so not sure which model you have which would be helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe it is the Top Fin® Silenstream™ for 10 gallon tank. I don't see any other specification for the model. It should be rated for up to 85 gph.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Correct 85GPH. I would just use that.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
85GPH is fine. The filter may break sooner than some of the better HOB's, but while it is working, it should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts