Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to completely disassemble my 90 gal tank quickly after a pipe burst in the basement bathroom and had to get the old carpet pad and carpet out and also just got the new carpet installed. I had 2 aqua clear 500 - 1 xp4 - 1 xp3 that the media / sponges were just left in the canisters and boxes with the tank water for about 4 weeks. Can I still reuse the media and sponges after a good rinse before I start the filters again???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
probably, yes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
Bacteria is far from dead. Doesn't matter if you rinse them you can if you want some of the bacteria will survive the rinsing also if you just do a quick one under the sink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
adam0444 said:
Bacteria is far from dead. Doesn't matter if you rinse them you can if you want some of the bacteria will survive the rinsing also if you just do a quick one under the sink
How does the bacteria survive a month without oxygen for a month in an unopened canister?

If you let the canister sit for a couple of days let alone a month without water flow, the oxygen in the canister will become depleted (anoxic), and denitrification will begin. When you start it up again, some bad stuff will be released into the tank. If it's my canister, I'm without a doubt rinsing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,006 Posts
If you let the canister sit for a couple of days let alone a month without water flow, the oxygen in the canister will become depleted (anoxic), and denitrification will begin. When you start it up again, some bad stuff will be released into the tank. If it's my canister, I'm without a doubt rinsing.
I'm with him. No way I just fire up a can that's been sitting for a month without a quick rinse. You could end up just dumping a boatload of nitrite or other nasty denitrification byproducts into the tank.

But, to answer the question:

Can I still reuse the media and sponges after a good rinse before I start the filters again???
Yes, just make sure you do the rinse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
rgr4475 said:
adam0444 said:
Bacteria is far from dead. Doesn't matter if you rinse them you can if you want some of the bacteria will survive the rinsing also if you just do a quick one under the sink
How does the bacteria survive a month without oxygen for a month in an unopened canister?

If you let the canister sit for a couple of days let alone a month without water flow, the oxygen in the canister will become depleted (anoxic), and denitrification will begin. When you start it up again, some bad stuff will be released into the tank. If it's my canister, I'm without a doubt rinsing.
+1 !!!

Trust me ...you will definitely want to rinse the media . I have the same XP3/4 filters and I tore down a tank and left the filter off for approximately two weeks . When I went to open the filters....the smell was "awful" . If I had to compare the smell to something....I would compare it to a bottle of Prime multiplied by 10 . On top of that......some of the bio media turned black due to the waste . So to answer your question .......there's no way I would advise anyone to use media that has been sitting in a canister for a month without rinsing it first . This answer is based solely on actual experience with the same filters that you are using .

Btw.....I removed my media (sponges and matrix) and rinsed them in hot water . I then let them soak in a bucket of water and bleach overnight . The next day I rinsed the media in clean water and soaked in a Prime solution . The next day I smelled for any trace of bleach....rinsed again and placed back in filter . No problems at all .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
I said rinse it some of the bacteria will still live.....................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
actually you said
Yes why rinse them though?
Only some fungus and bacteria are anaerobic "without oxygen" the kinds you need to live in your filter media depend on the oxygen created by moving water. The kind that live in oxygen free stagnant water are not the kind you want to pump into a fish habitat. Yes, even if you rinse once or twice some will live. If you take your time (and if it's been down for a month what's one more day) you can rinse them enough to remove the anaerobic bacteria. And since many yeasts are anaerobic if you just run it you could grow some pretty nasty stuff in your tank because they can survive without oxygen but thrive with it. I would for sure rinse really well.
One good thing is that most obligate anaerobes " bacteria that live without oxgen" is often poisoned by oxygen which helps. However you have no way to know what has found it's way in there. If they are facultative anaerobes they can survive with or without so you never know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you for everyone's response. I have since broken down the canisters and have rinsed everything. when i get a new stand i will restart them once again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
211 Posts
gremlin said:
thank you for everyone's response. I have since broken down the canisters and have rinsed everything. when i get a new stand i will restart them once again.
Good choice on the rinsing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Good choice on the rinsing
I feel like this is you being facetious :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I think he meant you were being humorously dry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
RRasco said:
I think he meant you were being humorously dry.
That's true RRasco It was my attempt at humor.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top