Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an aqueon 55 hob on a 36 gallon bowfront and would like to get some of that bonded blue filter padding and some media other than the stock carbon. i hear that carbon doesnt do much other than for using after medicating a tank. the filter has space for 2 filter pads so im wondering what would be best to put in those spots? should i get 2 differant types of media or just 1 and what type do you recommend? thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I use several different HOB filters and have started using a DIY pad which I cut to fit each filter. Most don't find carbon is needed on a full time basis. We do want mechanical to strain out debris before it clogs the media we use for bio-filtering. That is where we want a lot of good bacteria to hang out. For me the trick is to use the blue white bonded pad in such a way that it collects the debris first and another pad to do the bio. This is one pad that is designed for this:
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...e-bonded-filter-pad/prodmagnumfilterpads.html

I'm sure there are many other places to buy this pad but I find this handy. At this point, I have also ordered a huge roll of air handler media which is very much the same but in a 2X135 foot roll. Much more than the normal person might want but I plan to share it with many other people.

Once you look your filter over and decide how you might rework some of the existing plastic frame to support the new pad it is a matter of cutting out the old media and fitting the new in it's place. I recommend trying for using two separate pads back to back so that you can replace just one as at some time in the future the pads will begin to come apart after many, many rinsings. I find no need for different media as I use this pad and rotate which I ditch when worn out. At the price it is not a big thing to change them out and go for a new one. I just like the feeling of knowing that half my potential bacteria is still in the remaining old pad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok great, thanks for all the great advice! so are you saying you use the blue white bonded for mechanical and then the blue pad from the link for bio? how about the media itself, do you not use any? your water is clear and levels fine with just pads back to back?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I have several filter types from the really cheap Top Fin, etc. like one might find at Wal-mart. Target, etc. to canisters. In some of the HOB, there is a separate slide in pad of "stuff" that acts as bio media and is never changed out but just rinsed and designed to be reuse for the life of the filter. These pads I leave and just replace the carbon filled type with the blue/wht pad. Others only have a single slip in pad that is filled with carbon. Those I tear the ready made down and replace it with only the blue/wht pads. Seems to work out okay as those are really small tanks and I'm using them for grow, Qt and such where the load is not usually very heavy and I'm normally doing more water changes on them as small tanks get "off" more easily than large tanks. Long story short, Yes, I do run only the blue/wht in several cases and it works fine. Seems much of the bio bacteria takes up quarters in other parts of the tanks as well as in the media made for them. Bacteria hangs out any place where it gets water, O2 and food. It is just that the media is a super fine place but they live where they can if not ready made media. Some might like to use wht filter floss but it seems to be more prone to mashing down and clogging so I go for using the blue which does not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i think ill try the blue white pad, i was about to buy it the other day at petsmart so guess ill be making a run in the morning. i wont use it untill my tank cycles completely but i will probably use that with some bio balls, or the api bio stars...just for some added bacteria growth. im reallly mostly converned with clearing the water. i cant seem to get rid of this white haze (i do know itc an be part of the cycle, but think it should have cleared by now.) anyways i think the stock aqueon filter pads that come in the filter just arent doing the trick. thanks for your help

·
Registered
162 Posts
I completely agree with PfunMo. In my fry and growout tanks I use the blue/white cut to fit pad in my filters. If you want more filtration you can use a sponge over the intakes. I use the AC110 sponge filter and just cut it to fit over the intakes.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
AZ and I may operate on the same vein. I also use sponge on filter intakes at times. Sometimes when I've stirred the tank a bunch and don't want all the trash to go directly into the canister, I slip a sponge on the intake for a while. Things like leaf bits and such then can be rinsed off the sponge very easy without shutting down the canister. Sponge is also good for the occasion when I have fry that might be caught or to keep sand out of the filter if you have a fish that takes sand up and spits it out wherever he wants.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i went out today and bought the filter padding...my hob runs with 2 filters at once so for the time being i replaced one stock filter with the blue white, while keeping the other stock cartridge with carbon in. i also have nitra zorb to help contol ammonia and nitrites/nitrates, and a few api bacti stars for increased biological filtration...hope this will work out for me

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Good idea to keep the carbon filled cartidge back on the shelf for times when you may find a need. Sometimes I have needed carbon to take meds out or such and it is handy to have a new ready made with carbon handy for those times.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok good, i am pretty new to this so any advice i can get a really try to look in to. im currently cycling my tank with 3 danios so is it a good idea that i am keeping one of my stock filter pads in? or does it not matter? should i just go ahead and replace the other with the blue white pad as well? its an aqueon hob that claims that the filter pad "holster" promotes bacteria growth as well as the wet/dry filter. i personally think its kind of hokie "thats why i purchased the bacti stars" but the aqueon is much quieter than the aquaclear and emperor i have tried and had to return. i wish i would have given one of those another chance as they are much more customizable, but i wanted to get my cycle started and could not wait any longer and didnt want to risk another noisey filter and another return to the pet store. thanks again guys, its much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you are just into getting the tank cycled, I would definitely not change out filter pads at this time. You will find the bacteria is very "fragile" at this time and any changes may throw you into an ammopnia spike. Now is a good time to let it rest and do some testing so that you see what may be happening before it gets over into the sick/dead fish stage! Much easier to keep them happy than to cure them. Cheaper, too.

Reading up and understanding what the bacteria do is a pretty solid requirement. It will help avoid problems in the future. This is a site I like for info on water:
http://www.freshwater-aquarium-fish.com/water_chemistry.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts