Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of constantly replacing the cartridges in my filters, was wondering if there is something else I can use or do. I run two Emperor 400's on my 75gal and two Top Fin 60's on my 55gal. It gets expensive replacing cartridges every couple weeks. So any info or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Easiest and cheapest route would be to get some quilt batting material from the fabric store and cut it to size and replace the blue filter pads with these cut pieces.

If you use the search on this topic.. you will find many discussions and other examples of similar solutions. These emperor 400 filter pads are in my opinion not worth the money to replace with new ones that frequently.

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are clamshell media baskets available from many sources that will fit the 400. They are very inexpensive and can be filled with whatever! Look at Foster & Smith.

I use cheap polyfil and change it weekly. A $3 bag from Walmart will last for at least a year.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have heard Poret Filter Foam is the best. It's a little pricey for foam, but supposedly you don't have to clean it but once a year or so. And it lasts pretty much forever. I just ordered mine so I can't vouch for it yet, but it sounds great.

·
Registered
143 Posts
in any event no matter what you use (batting srubbers etc) IMHO/IME they dont need to be replaced unless they are falling apart... just rinse in old tank water during your partial change 1x a month until they are totaled then replace.... other wise you are going through a ton of materials for no real reason...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with Bearwithfish I just got some blue bonded filter pads from Foster you can cut them toany size or filter you have. U can reuse them so many times. Not to mention I have a bag of filter floss which seems will last forever. The companies tell you to replace every 4 weeks to make more money. But you don't have to. Just squeeze out in tank water and good to go.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I thought the reason for replacing the cartridges had more to do with the charcoal being used up. I stopped using cartridges in my Emperor 280 a while back and have since used micron felt cut to size in place of the cartridge and filled the media tray with Seachem's Matrix.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
As far as chemical filtration goes, yes, the carbon does get used up after not very long. But in terms of mechanical filtration, they will last as long as they can filter out mechanical impurities. I don't even use chemical filtration anymore, gets WAY to expensive.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RRasco said:
As far as chemical filtration goes, yes, the carbon does get used up after not very long. But in terms of mechanical filtration, they will last as long as they can filter out mechanical impurities. I don't even use chemical filtration anymore, gets WAY to expensive.
+1 stopped using carbon in my fresh water tanks over a year ago and have had no ill effects.... in fact i think the only time one should use carbon is to remove meds if they are used

·
Registered
161 Posts
HEARD THAT!!!! =D>

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
// begin thread-jack

While we're kind of on the topic, kind of, how often do you guys clean your prefilters? The prefilter on my overflow does a great job of getting the water clean, but I have to clean it 3-4x a week. It is an overflow with a 600gph return pump on the sump, probably getting more like 3-400gph, if that matters.

// end thread-jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts