Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a side tank filter and am a little hung up on where to place the verouis filter medias.

The types of media are:

1. AquaClear sponge 2 inches thick

2. Filter felt 100 micron 1/8 of an inch thick

3. Filter felt 50 micron 1/8 of an inch thick

4. Wet/Dry filter tray pad 100 micron 1/4 of an inch thick

5. Seachem Matrix

6. Bio-Bale

The filter would be similar to a sump. Water flows under and over dividers then is returned via a pump or power filter(s) to the main tank. The difference is that their would be only one divider section(box like) with egg crate(acting as a filter tray) placed horizontally with media sandwitched between. I am confused on what direction to make the water flow. Either under one glass pane and then up through each tray of filter media or by gravity as it falls down to equalize the water levels. It is some what similar to this one <http>

Aiming for a 300-480 gph flow.

To get that much flow would it be necessary to remove any of the above filter medias and/or adjust the panes to certain heights?

I hope I have been clear enough.

No pictures to post as I haven't started building outside my mind yet.

Waiting patiently for your reply,

isaacK

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would think it might be a bit of overworking the problem to have so many different types of media. I would look at some of the commercial setups and what they use. Normally starting with course mechanical filtering and through bio filtering media with maybe three or four different media types rather than the six you have listed. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the response PfunMo,

The filter must be able to handle high stocking per gallon and return crystal clear water back to the tank. That is the reason for so much media. When the tank is built and filtration set up I'll experiment with the different medias until I find the best combination.

isaacK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts