Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my hands on a couple marineland bio-wheel 350 filters. On each side of the intake there are slots for up to four (2 on each side) slide in filter media. I have a couple that came with the filters but I assume the carbon is old/bad. Now I know carbon goes bad and really doesn’t need to be included in filtration now days unless you are removing medication from the water. Can I just continue to reuse the thin blue/black filter cartridge with the (dead) carbon in it? It doesn’t have too thick of a filter lining on it. Or would it be preferred and provide a better place for bacteria colonies to grow to use some other insert? Or do the bacteria colonies mainly live on the wheel itself, in which case the filter media would really only be for physical filtration and not biological? I've heard of certain sponges and alternates that work well for bacteria colonies. I'm trying to find a long term solution so I don’t have to buy 8 new filter cartridges every month.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I run the same filters on a few of my tank. I keep rinsing out the cartridges until they are shot. Then I peel off the blue stuff and toss the carbon, and fasten a peice of quilt batting to it with some rubber bands. WAY CHEAPER

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I was looking for!

Do you re-attach the blue filter media to the black plastic piece as well?

Or just wait till the whole thing is shot and then get some quilt batting and fasten it to the plastic filter insert?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chmey! I thought I remembered reading an older post about this but I could not find it. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I ran 350's with a scotch brite pad supported by some egg crate (cut to size) in the front slots, then threw a cpl packs of aquaclear biomax down in between the scotch pads and bio wheels for some extra bio. Worked great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts