Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fluval 405 running and I'm waiting for my AC 70 HOB to add to my 90. Now my fluval was running for 39 days while I was waiting for my fishless cycle to finish. I just added fish in their and they have been in their since Jan 7th. I plan on doing my first monthly maintence the first weekend in feb. My question is. I have some blue bonded uncut filter pads also coming with my AC 70 and currently I am running Filter floss on the bottom trays(405) and Bio balls in the rest. I wanted to know how much BB actually lives in the filter floss because I wanted to replace either 1 or both of them with the blue bonded pads.

So should I just replace 1 half of the tray now and the second the following month or can I replace both filter floss trays with blue bonded pads?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I plan on doing my first monthly maintence the first weekend in feb.
I think that's too soon to be doing filter maintenance, particularly if you're planning to swap media. You're asking for spikes by doing that. I'd give it another month after starting up the AC70. Whenever I get tempted to tinker too soon, I just picture dead fish and it reigns me in. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really, interesting. I've read that of course after your done cycling do not touch filter for at least a month after fish are in tank. HMmm when do you suggest I should do the first maintenece on my fluval? and at that point, can I replace my filter floss with the other pads? either both or 1.

So you think march is when I should do the first routine maintenence on the fluval. The fish are juvies so bioload is small.

what do you suggest?

whats ur schedule like?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think my first answer was a little confusing.

First maintenance on the Fluval in early March. That'd be 60 days or so after cycling. With a tank of juvies, it doesn't need it sooner. That'll also give the AC70 60 days to get seeded itself. I just don't see a reason to rush the swapping out of the media, as I'm sure it contains nitrifiers, and I've found them to be a bit fragile in the early going. You're not only swapping out media, but stopping and opening up the can and possibly disrupting the rest of it also. Too much risk for too little gain. You really don't want a cycling setback.

Just my way. Some might think I'm overly conservative, but I treat the bacteria colony as a fragile, living thing in the early going. Later, you can be a litlle rough with it, and it seems to take it quite well. The nitrifiers live in a protective layering that's called a biofilm that takes time to get fully established. So, that bacteria are in your system doing their thing, yes, but a little vulnerable right now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I wasn't aware bioballs would do well in a canister filter... never heard it recommended. Let us know how that goes.

I found my canisters were always dirtiest just after intial setup (usually from debris from the substrate going in) - but if you're using PFS, then you shouldn't have an issue and like Prov said, no reason to clean it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it..Bio Balls I'm sorry The ceramic rings that come with the Fluval 405. If I said Bio Balls I ment the Ceramic rings. That is where the BB resides. I'm not touching those..I ment the Filter floss to exchange with new Blue Bonded Filter Pads. But I will wait till march anyway, Look at the Filter floss and Maybe take one out in one tray and use the bonded pads. I just read that the blubonded filter pads you can take out clean and actually boiling them restores them like new and keep reusing them.

So my original question was How much of the BB actually resides in the filter floss/pads vs The Ceramic rings. I would think most of the BB thrives in the Rings since you never really touch those and you're always changing filter pads or washing them out to get out debris. But I will wait 60 days.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
So my original question was How much of the BB actually resides in the filter floss/pads vs The Ceramic rings. I would think most of the BB thrives in the Rings since you never really touch those and you're always changing filter pads or washing them out to get out debris. But I will wait 60 days.
In the long run, very true. But, in your situation there'd be no reason for the rings to be harboring more right now than the floss.

I use the blue bonded pads in my wet/dry prefilters and rinsing them out does them fine. You don't need to boil. And just rinsing out in tank water removes the worry of removing bacteria. You don't need to get them pristine. Just remove the solids, the slimy brown stuff called 'mulm'. I use one of these pads in my filter for my 6 gallon and rinse it out weekly in the water removed from the tank when I do a water change. I then use it to water my office plants.

I'm also thinking that the floss is going to remove finer particles than the blue pads. Be aware that they're pretty coarse pads. Not necessarily a problem, but if you're looking for polishing from them, you may be disappointed. I see pros and cons for each.

HTH

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't really looking for them for Polishing...just better quality than filter floss really. And I got a bunch from Fosters and I know you can keep reusing them over and over so I just wanted to save myself money in the long run. Plus you can cut them to fit any type of filter. So I was thinking that when the long filter pads eventually need to be replaced in the Fluval..I will cut some of the bonded filter pads to fit in the sliding tray/cartridge. Rather than keep buying fluvals pads..

But thanks for the maintenance info. When the AC 70 comes I'm taking out the carbon and replacing it with one of those blue bonded pads to have 2 mechanical and then the Bio rings on top.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
First thing the floss should be at the top of your filter not the bottom. I clean my fluval 405 every 4 months.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You have 6 filters on a 180 gallon Smitty, not your normal setup.

I have have a 305 on a 75 gallon (only about 70 gallons of water) and it needs it about every 45 days.

My 405 only 55 (was on a 35) is likely to go 60 days.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smitty said:
First thing the floss should be at the top of your filter not the bottom. I clean my fluval 405 every 4 months.
Well I decided to put mechanical at bottom tray...max out rest with ceramic rings. All particles flow through filter pads then hit bottom tray take out anything the filter pads missed and clean water and BB to remain in Rings and out the the other end :D

I can always move trays around when I do my first maintenance. When they look all gross and I need to replace the blue bonded filter pads will go in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts