Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i need some ideas

i have a 55 gallon hex each side is 12" or so and i need to get it up and running.... the filter i have for it is one of those double pad deals that is about 2inches to long to goon the tank .... what type of mod can i do to get this to work? i have tried to add a piece of plexi but it was to high and i really did not trust is.. i was going to put PVC under it and it wont have any hold .... i do not have to opportunity to get another filter or a pump at this time but i need to get this tank up for my jewels ASAP as they have lost 2 broods to the general population of my 72.... any thoughts ideas are welcome....

oh hey wold an air driven filter be enough for this big of a tank? i have tons of stuff to make a one to three of those if they will work.....

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Yeah, I was just going to suggest a couple of sponge filters. Fairly large and I'm not sure an air pump would suffice, I'd be more inclined to use a powerhead on one, maybe an air pump on a smaller one as well.

G

·
Go to your LFS and see if they have a used equipment sales area. If so try to find a couple smaller one pad type filters and see if they can be had on the cheap. 2- 30 gallon size should fit. I know Walmart sells some new for about what you'd pay on-line with shipping. I understand you already have equipment but this is a unique situation so you are going to be limited. If you are handy you can make a simple sump out of a bucket with a spare pump or powerhead and some hose. The hardest part will be the overflows. They can be made out of PVC pipe quite inexpensively and will work fine until you are in a better position to do something more permanent. If you have an unused 10 or 15 gal. aquarium you can use that for a sump. I just built one out of a 15 gal. and my filtering area is 3 HOB filters. My 3 overflows dump into the HOB filters with the pads. The filters hang on the 15 gal. and dump into it. A pump then returns the water back up to the aquarium. I don't use the pumps on the filters at all. I like what an undergravel filter does for an aquarium but hate that it's impossible to clean the gravel. The 3 filters dump into a square plastic tub with holes in the bottom and filled with gravel that fits on the rim of the sump and runs into it. I clean the filters by removing the pads just like normal and I clean the gravel by taking out the tub and rinsing the gravel in a bucket. This all really works well and was built with stuff I've had laying around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts