Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a well established 55 gallon overstocked with African Cichlids. I am currently running an Aqua Clear 70 and Seachem Tidal 75. Understanding that there are no issues whatsoever. I came across a Fluval U3 internal filter. I love trying new filters, so I bought it for the **** of it. I was wondering if I could remove all the filter media it comes with and fill the cartridges with filter floss and use it more or less as a water polisher? I do realize it is to small for my tank, but no other filters will be removed.

Thanks for the input.

·
2,088 Posts
Sure. All you have to lose is the extra electricity. :)

Seriously, no reason not to do such a thing - as to it being "too small", when used as you suggest, with other filters, that would not matter, though you may find that it does not work as fast as you'd like - but then again it might also clog up too quickly... only way to know is try it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
robcope said:
I have a well established 55 gallon overstocked with African Cichlids. I am currently running an Aqua Clear 70 and Seachem Tidal 75. Understanding that there are no issues whatsoever. I came across a Fluval U3 internal filter. I love trying new filters, so I bought it for the #%$& of it. I was wondering if I could remove all the filter media it comes with and fill the cartridges with filter floss and use it more or less as a water polisher? I do realize it is to small for my tank, but no other filters will be removed.

Thanks for the input.
I like experimenting with things like this and think you should go for it!
Kind of along the same line, I have a 75 gallon tank running two canisters. I added small un-powered canister to the intake of the smaller of the two powered canisters to see if it made a visual difference in water clarity. It has only sponges in it, coarse, medium and fine porosity. It made a noticeable difference over night; the water was clean and clear to begin with, but now looks non-existent, like the fish are just floating in space. And, it is very easy to disconnect and clean; the filter it is in line with never gets any build up in the pads now and I figure I will open it up a couple times a year for inspection. If the input and output were larger diameter I would install one in front of the larger canister too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added the fluval u3 yesterday. Left it stock. Tank looks like the fish are floating in air. Great filter so far. Going to leave it stock for a month and see what the cartridges look like. Then I may take all the stock filter media out and fill each cartridge with poly-fill and see what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts