Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I need some advice. Last week I finally completed cycling my 55gal tank and have added my first batch of Mbunas (3 yellow labs, 4 acei, 3 red zebra) I am planning on doing 3 more labs and am looking at adding 3-5 more of another species. Since tank startup, I have been running an Aqueon 75 HOB filter. I quickly realized that this would not be enough filtration for the amount of fish I am planning on having in this tank. On Monday I purchased and installed a Eheim 2217 and have got it running in the tank along side the Aqueon HOB. I know many people advocate for running 2 filters and I get the reasoning behind it. I however, would really like to remove the HOB so I can move the tank closer to the wall. The question is, how long do I let the new 2217 run before I remove the HOB? I dont want to risk pulling it too soon and getting into a re-cycle situation. Thanks!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ichthys said:
Running the two together is pointless. Just transfer the media to the new filter.
Normally I would agree, but the Aqueon "filter cartridges" don't really lend themselves being moved into a canister type of filter.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
I would leave the HOB filter running for at least 6 weeks since this is a newly cycled tank setup.

If your stand is on carpeting don't forget there may be a carpet tack strip close to the baseboard or wall so you may not gain a lot of room to move the stand closer to the wall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts