Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a milky film on the top of my water. And I don't know if this is part of the film, but for the longest time, we get what looks like dust on the water surface. In the attached pic, it's hard to see the film... it looks like the dust I'm talking about. Any ideas what this is?

55310746334__3CBA4624-0588-473F-9915-C08D80ABD672 (1).jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Increase your surface agitation to help it mix in with the rest of the tank; this can be done by adjusting your canister filter output so it ripples the water surface or if you are using a power filter (HOB), lower the tank water slightly. Adding a power head or water circulator directed at the surface can also help break up the film.

All the above suggestions assume that this is not suspended sand substrate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Deeda said:
Increase your surface agitation to help it mix in with the rest of the tank; this can be done by adjusting your canister filter output so it ripples the water surface or if you are using a power filter (HOB), lower the tank water slightly. Adding a power head or water circulator directed at the surface can also help break up the film.

All the above suggestions assume that this is not suspended sand substrate.
I had the same thing on a Severum tank (no sand substrate)...thanks for your answer / suggestion!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Adding a surface skimmer of some sort will eliminate the symptom and move the film to the filter. I've found that the film is usually bacterial in nature. It 's unsightly but normally harmless other than reducing gas transfer at the surface. This is one of the reasons I like sump filters with skimming overflows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts