Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What substrate would you use in a fry tank?
Bare Bottom1178.57%
Pool Filter sand321.43%

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I find it difficult looking at the bare bottom of my 10gal fry tank... especially when i have extra PFS on hand. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I paint the bottoms of mine. A dark color will make it easy to see the fry. Sand just makes it harder to siphon and harder to see fry (unless you use black sand). Once the fry have grown out a bit and aren't sitting on the bottom like a bunch of slugs, then sand is no problem.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i agree with prov356. even through it hard to control ourself sometime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
limpert said:
prov356 said:
I paint the bottoms of mine.
What type of paint do you use? You dont have a picture of this do you?
I dont have pics but I bought a used tank with a painted bottom .It was spray painted black on the outside much like when people paint the back glass of their tanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Definitely paint the bottom black, it will look a lot better, and will not effect the convenience of cleaning and extracting the fry that the bare bottom tank offers and the pleasing non reflective look of the glass reflecting. Also spray paint dries very fast and if you have it aired out enough, within about 5 hours you can set everything back up again.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's easist to do before you set the tank up :lol: but spraying the bottom of your fry tank with the sand colored spatter paint works very well. I make sure i don't get any overspray on the load bearing surface of the plastic rim.

This is what it looks like from the inside

Ypu can get creative and use black paint to outline rocks--then spray the spatter, like I attempted on the 20 (I'm not much of an artist :roll: ) or just go with the full surface spray.

IMHO, fry tanks without substrate are much easier to maintain & the fry really appreciate the pristine conditions :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts