Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filmed this by accident really, but found it quite funny :). Didnt expect them to duke it out like that. I suspect cos the dominant male (Ps elongatus) isnt in the main arena, so everyone's fighting for top spot. I really like the colours displayed too, so I thought I'd share. The dominant thought that was running through my mind while I was filming was - "Is this what I feed you guys to do....?" :roll:

Thanks for looking!

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q213 ... I_2888.flv

·
Registered
65 Posts
Didn't know you could mix mbuna's and jewel cichlids. I'll have to look into that for my 72 gallon I am going to be getting soon, my girlfriend really loves the jewel cichlids.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've witnessed some evil labs... but those are just downright relentless!

Chefkevin - Jewel Cichlids and Mbuna really shouldn't be mixed together... They'll do fine but the different water parameters they require make them less than ideal tankmates.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chefkevin - I only keep one jewel, havent tried more than one. I just like the flash of deep red that the jewel contributes to the malawi colours :)

wmayes is correct that jewels comes from softer water but mine are bred locally so are adapted to my ph of 8.2

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kept a jewel in with my Mbuna for about 4 months, was the biggest fish in the tank however when the mbuna started getting to a similar size it just hid all the time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the other 2 are greshakeis. A month ago, I thought I had 4 females, given they are alreadu 3+ inches in length, then one coloured up and started fighting. No major damage so far :).

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 2 fighting definetly looked like males to me. I have a female (pretty sure because of her color) that is brown with beautiful orange on her fins. I also like the color of the males though. Nice fish!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts