Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for certain one of the fish is a female because it has held a batch of fry. I stripped them a few weeks ago (doing great) and the female has fattened back up and had her color come back. She was aggressively circling with another slightly smaller fish that I had assumed was also female. Gill plates fluffed out swimming in circles. It was not mating, there was definately aggression. Is this something that occurs between females?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I have an all female tank and yes they do circle and still will fight for dominance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
They will need to establish a pecking order. They should settle down once this happens. As long as the tank's big enough. But they'll fight every now and then. If one gets weak from holding or is removed from the tank for long enough, it'll have to re-establish itself within the order.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
This is normal. I find that some of my females cycle through the hierarchy - as they fatten up they become more dominant, then they hold and become a bit weaker from not eating for ~3 weeks and thus drop in the hierarchy. After regaining their strength they re-establish their dominance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts