Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just got my lace rock today and changed my tank around. Wanted to post a few pics of the tank and a few of my cichlids. (Note the tank is a little cloudy since I just got done messing with it.)

Any comments are much appreciated!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am using that same sand only I got the 00 sugar size. I think the one I got was way to fine, looks like snow on my rocks.lol It goes all over the place when its stured up, but my mbuna seem to love it. I will use the size you got next time tho. I too have lace rock but I dont have plants, I like to stack one side to about mid level and keep the other side just a little higher than how you have it. Love the look tho. I my self need more rock, I might try to use some small river rock bowlders to just spread around at the bottom to give it a natural affect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey outcast, do you have any pictures of your tank? I would love to take a look at it. I am actually on the site were I bought my lace rock, and deciding whether or not to buy 12 more pieces and stack my rock a little higher. I really love the sand that I got! I saw the 0 that you got, and I had a hard choice to make up to get the 0 or 1 haha.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks bro, I have 2 power compact with reflectors and the bulbs are 10k with actinic. Basicly a 50 50. I find alot of brown algae grows so I am trying to find a fix. Tank has only been up for a month and half.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, this brown algae sucks, Its all over my lace rock. :x I have to clean my glass every other day, I am doing 2 15 to 25 percent water changes to help keep it down but I really dont think that matters. I have a fx5 and an aquaclear 500 which is more than enough filtration but still there it is,stupid brown algae. I wish it was green! My nitrates are less than 10 easy but this junk just keeps on growing! :x

·
Registered
464 Posts
Outcastgsx said:
I am using that same sand only I got the 00 sugar size. I think the one I got was way to fine, looks like snow on my rocks.lol It goes all over the place when its stured up, but my mbuna seem to love it.
To me this is the best part of fine sand.. I love how it gets on my drift wood and rocks and the way it reacts to the fish that swim by it quickly, especially my cats.. Although it does suspend pretty easily if you have good circulation it gets blown back down quickly..

·
Registered
32 Posts
brimoore27- do you know the type of fish you have posted second, i have one very similar to your just blue, i guess you would say reverse. thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you mean the blue/black one with the yellow tinge to his caudal fin, that appears to be a Metriaclima sp. Msobo. If that's the fish you have congrats, it is my favorite mbuna :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brimoore and outcast-I love both your tanks. They look wonderful.

Bri- The big red guy in you first pic, what is it? The contrast of that red against the other colors is awesome.

Outcast- I love the way your lace rock is stacked.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks rmiller, these pieces of lace rock are pretty big. I am adding some more soon I would love to stack on side all most to the top, work my way down. Only issue is that I didnt use egg crate so I have to be carefull. How is your set up?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
doobie27 said:
brimoore27- do you know the type of fish you have posted second, i have one very similar to your just blue, i guess you would say reverse. thanks
Hey my lfs said it was an Albino Zebra Red Top :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rmiller said:
Brimoore and outcast-I love both your tanks. They look wonderful.

Bri- The big red guy in you first pic, what is it? The contrast of that red against the other colors is awesome.

Outcast- I love the way your lace rock is stacked.
Thanks a lot for the comments! The fish you are asking about is a red zebra (at least that's what my lfs said)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts