Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After raising some 1" juvies up to roughly 3.5-4" in just under 4 months I thought I'd give some information I've figured out on them.

If you keep em' under 80 degree's for more than a week at a time they begin to show signs of HITH - I'm not sure if this is only with juvenilles or if adults are prone to the same problems.

It seems water changes and a constant supply of food are key to good growth. I was told that it would take a lot longer than it has to get them up to the size they're at, with males showing breeding coloration already and beginning to develope streamers on their tail fins.

I perform 50%+ water changes every night and feed 8 times daily with a high protein diet.

Their health greatly improves when the temperatures get over 82 degree's, and begins to degrade at around 85 degree's.

Stressor's actually seem to help with their appetite and coloration, I've put an 8" Amphilophous nourisatti in with my harem and have noticed a great improvement in their behavior as a result of the competition they likely feel.

I'll try and keep my updates condensed to this thread assuming I can find it later on down the line - and I'll post some new pictures in a bit.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Great info... thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sounds right on par with my experience. I keep mine at 84 degrees, that seems to be the best and they also do not like the temperature below 80 for any length of time. Down in the mid 70s they seem to be prone to flashing and HITH.

I agree that "competition" is very important for bringing out behavior and coloration. I think for any group-oriented species it is important for their well being.

DBS...what are your pH kH and gH?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts