Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first topic on this forum, and I am very happy that I found this website. Lots of interesting/useful stuff in here.
I have a 55 gallons tank with 7 cichlids in it. I am not new to cichlids, but new to the yellow peacock. I recently got a new pair of yellow peacock and I must say that there is some fight in it since than.

At the beginning was pretty calm but now after a month since this new pair is in the tank, almost every fish is running after another fish in the tank... The worst part is the peacock male running after the female.. sometimes she's like almost going above water...

I don't know what exactly to do... for me the female looks smaller the the male and maybe younger.. I have no idea what is the age of these cichlids...

I am posting a video with the tank and a few pictures. I know I have 3 other yellow labido in the tank and a pair of some other type of cichlids but I have no idea what type they are. Maybe somebody could help me with this too.

Thanks,

Video url:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Malawi are not pairing fish...they do better with 1:4f of each species. What is the yellow barred fish?

I would post a pic of that one in the Unidentified forum. Maybe a mbuna that would not mix well with peacocks.

Are all your peacocks the same species?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The yellow barred one is a male lombardoi, this is very protective fish, the boss in aquarium
The one under him is a female lombardi. Other than that I only have 3 yellow labido.
Which picture you are referring to?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would remove the lombardoi...too aggressive for a 55G and too aggressive to mix with peacocks. I would add females for the yellow labs and the peacocks (limit to one species). Shoot for 1m:6f of each species if you are planning just the 2 species.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohh, this would be a big disappointment for my wife and kids, they love the lombardoi... I don't know what to do with them now... I only have a 10 gallons backup tank and an old 20 gallons that I am not sure it is safe to start it now again... it might leak...
Could be a solution if I am adding more hiding rocks ? Mind you for a 55 gallons tank I would loose a lot of swimming space if too many rocks in it...

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would want 1m:7f of the lombardoi and nothing smaller than 48x18 tank. And yes, you would want to fill that with rocks as well.

What about swapping them for the other females you need?

Alternatively you could lose the labs and peacocks, and keep just 1m:11 female lombardoi in the 55G...might work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am adding some more pictures just to make sure I have right name of the species...
Honestly I like more the peacock than the lombardoi .. but that's me...

So there would be one or the other one, either the labs with peacocks or the lombardoi ....
The tank is 55G 48x18

Let's say I will exchange the lombardoi, they are nice I am sure it would be easy to exchange.. if wife and kids agrees... What would be the ratio for labs and peacocks in the 55G ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
You could have 3 species with 1m:4f of each or 2 species with 1m:6f of each.

For 3 species, keep labs and peacocks but add a small, peaceful hap like Placidochromis electra. The blue barred male might make your family happy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strage things, I think the yellow lab female is holding... but could be with the lombardoi male?! Could be possible? I have yellow male lab but too small and young for this .... besides that is hiding a lot...
I don't get it.
Beside this, the lombardoi male is getting crazy with the nest... he almost covered in sand the air stone bubbler.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, this was not really the intention... I don't know what to do now.. kids would love to see the babies so I am thinking of buying a tank divider or wait maybe 2 weeks and than the 3-rd week put her in the small aquarium box breeder but I find it a bit too small in my opinion. Would be this box (see image) large enough to keep her in for a week or so ?

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd let this batch go and remove the lombardoi...adding lab females. Then the next time they spawn, you can raise the babies in a cycled 20G Long tank. Good size for the mom while holding, as well as the 20 babies you will have to raise to 2".

A breeder box is OK for holding a harassed fish overnight, but I would not keep an adult in one.

If you divide the tank the adults are in...you will have even less room for the adults...aggression may increase. Babies have a way of getting over, under and around tank dividers. Plus heat and circulation is not great on the side without equipment.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought 3 other yellow peacock females but I think they are sick. I was having one already so now it would be 1m;4f for peacocks.
I already swapped the lombadoi couple.
Since 2 days these females stay most of the time in one corner of the aquarium, like in the images...
Did you already see this?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts