Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Running a 64G tank, all male hap, with a small breeding groups of electric yellows and rustys.

Turns out this morning that my juvenile 'male' Tawain Reef is holding. Doh!

I am just a little confused as I am not sure what she would cross breed with in there? Here is a complete list of inhabitants:

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi
Red fin boreyli
VC 10
Blue Dolphin Hap
Zebra Obliquiden
Copadichromis chrysonatus
OB peacock
Rustys
Electric Yellows

Could she just have laid eggs and scooped them up? Or do they have to be fertilised in order for her to want to hold them?

Yours confused,

Ian.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Haps do crossbreed with other haps and some peacocks readily. And as you know, any mouthbrooders can crossbreed.

Yes females can hold unfertilized eggs. Usually if she holds more than 7 days they are fertilized however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJ Ransome.

If they are fertilised, not sure what to do!? I don't mind letting her spit into the tank, but it would be frustrating if any fry survived and I was stuck with hybrids.

Shame I was really hoping my Taiwan Reef was a male...

Ian.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I've had 2 fry (of 3 spit-in-tank birthings) in my 125 survive.

I had to move the 1 large hybrid to another tank - family wouldn't let me do anything else with it. If it hurts my gourami though, he may go in with my white-cheeked goby...

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Yes I would strip the eggs now to be sure. You are not going to leave the female in the tank though, right? She will be removed anyway to go back to the LFS?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts