Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever had a female tank boss? My old tank boss was a 3.5" auloncara baenschi. I had a tank crash a while back and of the auloncara group, only the male tank boss and one other female survived. I've since restocked with all juvies. But when it comes to the auloncara, I wanted to keep their group set at the 1 male. So I purchased 2 known females of the same species and requested the smallest ones. When the two females came in, one was the same size as the male and one was slightly bigger. Its been a couple of weeks now and my male has lost his mojo. He's healthy but not as active and never chases anyone anymore. He's also scared of the larger female and she will chase him occasionally. Did I just mess up the dynamic of the group? Will he have to eventually grow larger than her before he gains some confidence?

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Yes a female can be tanks boss, but maybe not for many years or even months. Two weeks is not much time to settle in. The dynamic will almost always change when you add new fish so it is better to think of realizing the improvements long term.

It should not take long for the male to grow to the size of the female. If they spawn before that happens, consider it a bonus, but a smaller male can spawn with a larger female if she is still young enough to produce eggs.

If he is still fully colored it should not take too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts