Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in breeding some of my Peacocks but it is really a search and find job locateing females I think I my get a few but they seem to be late ones that color up and most of the males I get from my LFS which has me questioning seem to be already colored up at about 2-3inches while others are drab then once I get them in my tank they start to develope color and they look like females then change up. So what is a good means to getting females :-?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Female peacocks are very drab, always, unless they were hormoned in which case I would never purchase another fish from that source. I hormoned female will show some color in the tank at the store then it will fade over time once you get it home.

To breed peacocks your best bet is to just start with a group of juvenile fish that are from a good source and grow them out together.

A good source would be a reputable fish store in your area, a breeder from a local fish club, or from a good/well reviewed online vendor.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok glad u responded but I do have a good group of juvi's from 2 LFS but one bunch turned out to be all females which is good the other bunch seems to be all males. But my thing is like u said this one LFS his juvi that are 2-3 inches have some nice color at that size and with their long fines :eek: but when I got some drab looking fish out of the same tank thinging they were females now that they are about 3.5inches they now want to start to get color around the gill and fins are starting to get long and pointed I guess they were late bloomers and they have really outgrown the other females I purchased like double. So how would I know if the LFS is getting fish from the supplier hormonrd already?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
How many in a bunch? What two species did you purchase? What peacock species do you want to breed? Can you post pictures?

Not sure I can offer much help without more specific information.

You really don't want to mix peacock species in the same tank if you want to sell fry as you won't be able to tell the difference between the females.

Generally, your best bet is to buy 8 or so of a single species at 1.5in+/- and grow them out together.

By getting 8 unsexed fish you would have an 85% chance of getting 3 or more girls.

You can figure your own odds of success here.

I used the following for the above 85% number:

Probability of success on a single trial (.5) Chance it is a girl.
Number of trials ( 8 ) Number of unsexed fish.
Number of successes (3) Number of girls you would like.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I have 5 German Red females juvi's/ 1- 4 inch male Red German . 1-3inch ob Peacock male/4 females juvi's also under 2 inches. I albino males inches /1 females albino 3 inches. 1 dragonblood male was suppose to be a female for the albino but it changed on me :x . 1 male electric blue "Ahli"/ 3 females. and about 4-5 German Red males about 3 iinches now that have turned into males or it seem like it since females dont sport any color am I correct? And I have not figure out how to post a pixs on this site yet it had nowhere for me to browse my computer to upload pixs :-?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
How to post pictures is here.

How large a tank do you have, hope it is at least 5ft long?

male:female Ratio you generally want is: 1m:3+f per species group

Only one group of peacocks in a tank if you want to distribute fry and Sciaenochromis fryeri are notorious for crossing with peacock females.

From your post best I can figure:

5-6m:5(?) German Reds - females have no color to speak of, correct...
1m:4(?) OB Peacock
1m:1f Albino Peacock
1m:0f Dragon Blood
1m:3f Sciaenochromis fryeri

I hope you understand that everything you have will readily crossbreed.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are correct I am not to worried about the crossbreeding of fry I dont plan on doing any selling as of any time soon or in the future so I dont care about the crossbreeding. I have an 115gallon tank and a 75 gallon tank which at the time is housing Mbuna's which I will probably end up trading in and making that tank a one species peacock tank to do just breeding in just have to figure out what I want to focus on? May just get a whole nother group because dont want to spend a whole day breaking down and removing rocks to catch the fish in the 115gallon have alot of rock work in it :lol: . Butt as I said before I can find all kinds of males at my LFS they just dont seem to get any females in I had to get males from there and got lucky and found the feamles at anotherLFS but I got lucky and was there at the right time

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
If you order online from a reputable vendor that sells the peacocks as "sexed" you will get the right fish. PM me if you want the name of a vendor.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Keep in mind just because you have a group of one species and only one of them is coloring up and the others are drab, does not guarantee those drab ones are all females. The only real way to know is to witness them holding or vent them. In the past I could have sworn fish were one sex and they turned out to be another. These fish are tricky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts