Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered 2 convicts. A pink male and a black female. I gave in and took them. Now I have read about the dangers they can bring so *** been thinking about keeping just one. Is this acceptable, meaning will the single convict be happy with a bunch of african cichlids? So far they along fine except for when the oink convict decides to chase one of the africans but that last for 2-3 seconds the most. The female is really peaceful but does defend herself when needed, however she has been taking beatings from the male pink and a lot of times she gets away but hes faster than her so she gets beat most of the times he gets aggressive with her. What should I do? Keep one or give them both away. I was leaning towards keeping the female. I have a 55g with about 6 africans with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am fairly new to the hobby, but I have heard that generally speaking new world cichlids such as your convicts will get terrorized by african cichlids. The reason is because african cichlids tend to be more aggressive than the new world cichlids.

Personally it is your tank and you can see how the fish are doing, but I would not keep the convicts (either, or both) with the africans.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Convicts are usually ok with africans, I think it is up to you which one you keep, sounds like the only real bullying you have is between the two which is probably the male attempting to get the female to spawn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They seem ok now but im worried when they do spawn they will kill or badly injure some of my africans. Also I dont want baby convicts, I dont have space to house more fish. Still not sure what to do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would just keep one, probably the female as she doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Cons are usually scrappy, fast, and competitive enough I think they'd be able to get along with mbuna, and not picky about water conditions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
goldcreek said:
I would just keep one, probably the female as she doesn't seem to be causing any issues. Cons are usually scrappy, fast, and competitive enough I think they'd be able to get along with mbuna, and not picky about water conditions.
Yea thats what I was thinking but the male is such a good looking dude. I wish I could keep them both without problems. Im leaning more towards the female tho.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Keep the female if you have to keep anyone. The male will get more aggressive as he grows and your Africans will end up stressed. I had a male Con with Africans while I was waiting for a replacement tank and once he claimed a section of the 55gl he dominated anything that came near but every fish does have its own attitude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts