Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I, too, have one female lab in an otherwise male tank. She held twice with the male lab in the tank. I got fry from both holds while leaving her in the main tank and building a "fry pile" of small rocks for her to spit into and for the fry to live in. I really didn't care about breeding, but wanted to give the little guys a fighting chance. I still have two living in the fry pile.

I'm not entirely sure what your question is. My female held and spit fine in an all male tank. Both times the daddy was the male lab. The peacocks and haps in the tank never paid her any attention. Eventually, I removed the male lab as the female was prettier and I've not had babies since.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks for the ideas. :)

Both of the Labs are of nice quality, but the female does have a cooler hue of yellow - more lemon-like.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The female has been feeding for several days, with the fries in her mouth. This morning a little one was let loose and zipped around a bit, before the mom quickly scooped it up. :lol: It was already yellow and close to 1/4".

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
There is no way that you can trust the spawns to be pure from a mostly male tank, unfortunately. It's just not an ideal situation for breeding, and unless you witness an entire spawn (which can take hours) you can't rule out the other males in the tank.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. But with the top male as the 5" male Yellow Lab, I think the chances are good. The 2nd in line would be the Firefish - he is now out of the tank.
Anyway, They will be left in there with the front, comp and calvus. :roll:
Thx. Nel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.