Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in previous posts i brought a stocked tank several weeks ago and after some homework and help from you guys i now have a good idea as to what i am stocking, I thought I had several Hybrid Yellow labs but from doing some googling to see what sex my Johnanni's are i see the female version is very yellow is there a way to tell the difference between the female johanni and the previously suspected hybrid yellow labs? is there any sure way of telling which of my population if not the hybrid ones are the females to the johannis? was gonna shrink my yellow population in the tank but dont want to take the females away from the males as i have 2 rather large ones thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
I believe that the female johannis and labs should be distinguishable. A start would be to post some photos and the folks around here will probably tell you which is which.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies I managed to get some piccies if anyone can identify them for me please in the last picture theres one thats a lot lighter than the others not sure if its the same as the rest breed wise? it looks the same just much lighter thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
You would think that a female version of a typical fish will have the same body shape and finnage as the males. From those pictures, those yellow cichlids looks like they are yellow lab hybrids. Why you would ask. Their body shape and finnage looks like yellow labs but with out the atypical black stripes on the caudal and anal fins. But that's is just totally my .02 from your pictures. Maybe in person they may look different.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mugen-Malawi said:
You would think that a female version of a typical fish will have the same body shape and finnage as the males. From those pictures, those yellow cichlids looks like they are yellow lab hybrids. Why you would ask. Their body shape and finnage looks like yellow labs but with out the atypical black stripes on the caudal and anal fins. But that's is just totally my .02 from your pictures. Maybe in person they may look different.
+1

I'm no expert, but all the yellow fish that are well-shown in your pictures appear to me to be shaped like yellow labs. You might try to get a good broadside shot of the paler fish since you really can't tell its shape from the one you posted.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not an expert either, but I must differ ever so slightly from the previous posters. Yellow Lab mouths are a tad more underslung. Compare the picture here:
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1669 with the one from the OP
They have bits of black on their fins, even my most hybridized one has the faintest tad of black in her top fin when she's vibrantly displaying. What's also odd are those bits of blue in their fins. Pretty, but odd.

The Johanni pic in the profile section looks a bit like these (see the one called 'large female'):
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=760. Having said that, they do seem to be the wrong yellow, and the fins are off.

I can see why the OP is doubtful about what fishies they have :-?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts