Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We noticed about a week ago that one of our females are holding. She is not eating and has the sack under her chin and looks like she is chewing gum. A couple of months ago we found one baby at the bottom of the tank during cleaning from a mystery mother (we did not notice anyone stop eating but we have our guesses) and we removed the baby and put it in its own tank to avoid it from getting eaten since clearly all other babies were gone.

With that said we have removed this new mamma fish and put her in an isolated tank to avoid the other fish from eating the babies. My question is.... is it safe to leave the mama in the tank alone and let nature take its course or will she eat her own babies? I would like to avoid stripping her if possible, but if there is benifits for her or the babies I am open to it.

Open to any info/suggestions.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What type of african? My yellow labs hold for about 3 weeks before they spit the babies. In the past, I have separated the mother in a 20 gallon tank and have left the mother with the babies for a day or two before putting her back to the main tank. I cannot say if she would have eaten the babies. I have seen a mother kept in with the babies for an extended period of time in a LFS but there were hiding places for the babies.

·
Super Moderator
40,503 Posts
The mother will eat the babies but not day one so it is safe to let her spit naturally. Keep all the babies in your tanks, don't sell or give them away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
The mother will eat the babies but not day one so it is safe to let her spit naturally. Keep all the babies in your tanks, don't sell or give them away.
Thank you both for the info. Djransome, what is the reasoning for not selling or giving them away? Just curious?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
velenc said:
What type of african? My yellow labs hold for about 3 weeks before they spit the babies. In the past, I have separated the mother in a 20 gallon tank and have left the mother with the babies for a day or two before putting her back to the main tank. I cannot say if she would have eaten the babies. I have seen a mother kept in with the babies for an extended period of time in a LFS but there were hiding places for the babies.
She is an acai. The babies are going to be mixed for sure because we lost our only male a few month ago to bloat. Thankfully we have that issue under control now.

·
Super Moderator
40,503 Posts
Hybrids are not desirable in the hobby, but fine if you want to keep them (as long as you do keep them for their lifetimes).

It's hard to house 20 more fish every time a mbuna spits...this is why many of us try to avoid cross breeding so we CAN sell or give away pure fish and still have room in our tanks for new species that interest us.

In your positon I would let the mom spit in the main tank and let nature take it's course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did more research and understand the dislike of hybrid and people who hybrid. Just want to make it clear that we are very amateur hobbiests and animal lovers in general (maybe too much) which is why we have been trying to save these babies. Not trying to make money or rip people off. Just wanted that to be clear. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,503 Posts
That's perfect that you love them enough to house them for their 8 year life expectancy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
That's perfect that you love them enough to house them for their 8 year life expectancy.
I know sarcasm when I see it. I am obviously on here to learn. I will be taking your advice letting her spit in the main tank, was just making a point that I was not trying to do something "unethical" or whatever you want to call it. So no sarcasm needed. Thanks. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Dj's post was not meant to be sarcastic so please don't take it that way. :)

Yours is an often asked question regarding what to do with mixed or unknown parentage fry so the options are raise them and keep them for their life, let the mom spit in the tank and let nature take it's course and hope none survive or to euthanize them yourself so they don't grow up and continue to breed with other fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts