Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
MalawiLover said:
Females will only develope blue if they have been hormoned.
True, in that they will only develop the deep blue. Some females will have a "bluish" sheen to them, particularly under a flash. They will never appear to be the deep blue of the males.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Strange, in all my fryeri, I've never seen a female with blue. I've only raised a few hundred, but I would figure I would have seen some.

They do look like females though. I've just never seen one with a tint of blue in the face before.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ideas on what to feed them? They seem to be very picky, turning their nose up at bloodworms and only picking at flakes...

·
Registered
495 Posts
whats with all the blood worm fans lately? Blood worms are not a good food for malawi's try feeding them a quality cichlid food from your lfs.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
copasetic said:
whats with all the blood worm fans lately? Blood worms are not a good food for malawi's try feeding them a quality cichlid food from your lfs.
i was just trying what i had, they didnt seem too crazy about the cichlid flakes so i threw in some bloodworms to see if i could get them eating. Where did i say i was a fan of bloodworms??

·
Registered
495 Posts
^sorry just seems like *** answered alot of threads in last few days about bloodworms being feed to malawi's.. Danchi, New life, and HBH are few good food brands to check out.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Fishyfan said:
so are males ready to breed as soon as they color up?
Sometimes the males will mature faster than the females. I've had males in colour at 1.5", so typically breeding occurs when males are about 2.5" and females about 2".

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help

btw, are females usually aggressive towards each other? One of them is chasing the other all around a 40 breeder :-?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Fishyfan said:
thanks for the help

btw, are females usually aggressive towards each other? One of them is chasing the other all around a 40 breeder :-?
Yes, females can be aggressive towards each other. I usually keep this fish in a 6ft long tank, as their aggression can often be a problem in smaller tanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts