Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just set up a new 55g. I wanted to start off with some yellow labs, and since I am using a Seachem Primer and Stability mix instead of fishless cycling, I wanted to only start with two fish and watch the ammonia as the tank cycle's in. Three days ago, my LFS said, "take a male and a female to start". He gave me what he said, and what I thought were a male and female. The labs are about 2 inches. I know the one is definitely a male (good black color on all the fins), but he is maybe a quarter inch smaller than the "female", who is a whole 2 inches roughly.

When they first got in the tank, they did their dance, claimed some territory, and were quite active. Now the male is hiding and never comes out, not even to eat. It seems when he does muscle up the courage to come out of hiding, the "female" chases him off. Is this really a female or another male that has been mis-classified?

With just two males in the tank, will one terrorize the other to death? Here is a picture of what I thought was a female... is it?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You don't know whether or not you have a male and female. Their appearance tells nothing. The only way to be sure is that if it's holding eggs in its mouth, it's a female, and if it's breeding with her, it's a male. Or venting. Take the fish back, start a fishless cycle, then get 6. With a pair, one will ALWAYS dominate the other, regardless of sex.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.