Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple days one of my dems has not been eating. I am fairly certain it was one of the females I stripped about 11 days ago.

First things first:
This is not a holding female. I am very familiar with what a holding female looks like, and this is not the case. Even shined a flashlight in her mouth; no eggs.

She tends to hover around one of the rocks, not socializing at all. She looks a little more pudgy than the rest.

I have also noticed today that one side of her face is very dark compared to the other (see pics). not sure what this means or if its even relevant, but it definitely caught my eye today.

Also had one die today, however it was one of the 6 1.5" ones I added a couple months ago, might of been a male not welcomed to the group.

75 gal tank with 6 polits, 5 red zebras and 13 other dems.

Did a 40% wc on monday. pH - 7.6 and ammonia is 0, ran out of the other tests a few days ago :oops:

Here is the dark side of her face:

And the other side:

You can see on the top of her head where the color changes on her face

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Wish I could tell ya why this is going on because I have a similar situation going on right now. The first Dem that I had holding is still hiding all the time and is not socializing at all. Doesnt eat and you never see her outside of the rock pile. I have even pulled her out last week to see if she was still holding a straggler or something but mouth is empty. Have been reading up alot lately to see why this could be going on and came up with notta. Thought maybe this was a common thing for Dem's after they are done holding, but am starting to think it isn't.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Looks like it maybe BLOAT. I could be wrong, but she looks pretty bulgy from the top view.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Set aside some time to watch her and see if she poops and what consistency it is. 30 minutes should suffice. Check the anal area for any swelling or redness.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Agree that bloat would be a top candidate, but that's just a guess unless you see stringy white feces in addition to the behaviors you are already seeing from her. The fact that another one just died further makes me suspect bloat (which often follows aggression-related stress).

·
Registered
874 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
Dead this afternoon. a few other dems aren't eating. PLEASE ADVISE
You should check for Nitrite and Nitrate just in case. It indeed looks like bloat from the top view. Are you able to tell us if the 2 that have died were severely harassed?
When fish do not eat it is usually high level of stress due to water conditions, being harassed or internal disease.
Double check all your water parameters ASAP.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Going to get a test kit in about an hour. Like I said above the first fish to die was one that I had added a couple months ago. I have noticed some aggression towards a couple of the new ones, but I'm unable to differentiate between them so that one could of been stressed. However, the one that died today that was never overly harrassed, just held full term in the main tank and was eating fine a couple days after I stripped her.

Also note I just added a group of 6 polits on Saturday, but they are all doing fine.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Bloat rarely takes fish out in multiples, it's usually one at a time.
If you don't have any already, order or pick up some Clout or Metronidazole. Post your water parameter results first.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just tested:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Ph 7.6

I also picked up a pack of clout. Will dose tonight if recommended.

·
Registered
874 Posts
i would go for it, since you lost 2 already and others are not eating.

·
Registered
874 Posts
no, just remove any carbon

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Note that clout stains your silicone. I'd treat with metronidazole in the main tank and only use clout if treating in a hospital tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too late lol. I heard that the staining will fade over time, I also read in the library that cloud does a better job of curing fish already infected with bloat than metronidazole

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
not saying clout doesnt stain,it didnt in mine,and sometimes since not knowing which are affected you should probably treat them all anyway

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Well, the staining is not very dark. Best of luck. I never use Clout any more...just the metronidazole.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you haven't dosed yet, perform a 30% water change and vacuum, add additional aeration if possible. If you can, store some bio media in a container where it will stay above 60* and provide aeration (not everyone can so no worries if you can't).
*Copy/Paste from Here*
Daily water changes are essential for Clout's maximum effectiveness. The water changes also facilitate the removal of the old, disabled chemicals. Three days of treatment should be sufficient if the inflammation is not too severe, otherwise treat for a full five days. If after five days, you still don't notice a change, then resume treatment again after a two day hiatus. Once you have concluded the treatment, perform a final water change 24 hours after the last dosage.
Raise tank temp to 80 if it isn't there already. Periodically test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, clout isn't supposed to affect your bio but it's a good idea to check.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The back of the box says "one treatment should be adequate, some external parasites may remain attached after an effective treatment"

Is there any reason not to just go ahead and dose again tomorrow? If I see the fish in question eating and acting normal, do I know the bloat is completely removed?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.