Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female con seems to be holding eggs and yet she does not lay anything. She has been this way for some time now and I dont know what to do. My other cons are laying eggs like rabbits but never give me any babies yet.

Sorry about the bad pic. She is the one on the left. She looks fat and seems to have the little bumps like it is eggs and that little tube thing comes out every so often but she does not let anything out. What could be wrong? is there anything I can do ? Please help....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Looks more like bloat. Lost 2 female cons and and a female FM to bloat over the years. Their life may be more stressed then you think (?) Diet is only one of many factors. Have no clue on how to treat this ailment, other then culling.

Never lost an African cichlid to bloat until very recently. Not sure it is really is what you call bloat as it happenned in less then a 24 hour period. About a couple years back, I bought feeders mostly for my young dovii X RT hybrid...... but the only one who was eating them was my female kenyi. Anyways, I tried to introduce 6 young mbuna(1 1/2" - 2") into the tank and she swallowed them all with in hours (I seen the tails sticking out of her mouth) and she died shortly after (with in 24 hours). She had a huge belly but I think eating fish with dorsal and anal spines (such as cichlids) is very different then swallowing soft bodied feders.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bernie comeau...

Bloat huh.. Sounds like a start. I think peas are good for that. She has been like this for a few month now. I always thought she was holding eggs cause it looks a bit bumpy and she is paired up.

Anyone else have any ideas? Please chime in.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is acting normal as the others. Other than the oversized belly she is all normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts