Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female convicts eggs hatched (not free swimming) but now she is eating all. of them is this normal? will she always do this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is this the first time she has spawned? If so she may not have the hang of it yet. It sometimes takes cons a few attempts before they realize they arent supposed to eat the eggs/fry. I wouldnt worry in a month or so there will be another batch laid and likely raised to free swimming stage. Eventually you'll wish they were eating their fry. :D

·
Registered
262 Posts
Also, what you describe as "eating" may just be her picking them up in her mouth and moving them elsewhere in the tank.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AU Chief said:
Also, what you describe as "eating" may just be her picking them up in her mouth and moving them elsewhere in the tank.
I am almost sure she isnt because it looks as though she is chewing them. The male is acting bizzare he is acting overly aggressive tord him reflection

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I don't think they're eating them , sounds like they're moving them to a "safe place". Cons can and do hide their young VERY well. The "chewing" could just be her making them comfortable while she transports them to a new location. The males aggression is pretty normal . His job is to help protect the brood so as long as they feel the fry need protecting he'll be very aggressive toward just about everything. I wouldn't worry , even if they do screw up this spawn in a month you'll be up to your ears in them. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts