Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She spat her babies around 24 days in I removed her pretty much after a few hours back into the main area of the tank and after about 3 days I noticed shes still not coming to eat this morning I wake up and I find her dead any ideas very frustrating she was wild caught

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have just noticed the other two blue neon wild-caught peacocks one is Male ome is female r not eating but every other fish is totally fine it seems to be that these peacocks there's something wrong with them
This is strange they're still alive

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
If they are not eating anything, or show little interest in food, they are sick. Check for symptoms of the bloat disease. Make sure you are doing regular water changes, wild caughts can get stressed more easily.

Now life as a female can be stressful and rough. Holding and not eating is stressful, and being back in the main tank she may have been harassed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
noki said:
If they are not eating anything, or show little interest in food, they are sick. Check for symptoms of the bloat disease. Make sure you are doing regular water changes, wild caughts can get stressed more easily.

Now life as a female can be stressful and rough. Holding and not eating is stressful, and being back in the main tank she may have been harassed.
**** yes it's annoying it's only the wild peacocks like I said she died the other two have not eaten since I made this post probably about a week water changes are every week 50%

·
Registered
449 Posts
Wild caught fish are probably coming out of pretty much nitrate free water and even small amounts may stress them. I would up the water changes to twice a week and test for nitrates often shooting to keep them at 10 ppm.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cichlids like this are not very sensitive to water chemistry. They don't have any resistance to pathogens because they are not tank bred, that is the problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Cyphro said:
Cichlids like this are not very sensitive to water chemistry. They don't have any resistance to pathogens because they are not tank bred, that is the problem.
Many years ago, when I was a young newbie, I lost some wild caught South American cichlids. The only thing I could find wrong was elevated nitrates in the tank; a few water changes later and no more loss. Maybe things have changed over the past 30 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys thank you yes basically they all died the three wild caught died at least I now know there was sincerely wild caught the other fish are thriving and I have genuine F1 now funny how the parents all three of them died just after they managed to give me some off spring
I will be staying far away from wild caught fish I mean I do weekly water changes my water is perfect but it's not worth taking the risk paying so much money and they end up getting sick the other tank bred fish are really well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts