Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The females are fighting i have 4 fish in a thirty gallon breeder 3 females(WC)
and one male(WC)...

Wtf is going on one is beat up pretty good and i just put my last female back in that tank that was holding fry. So i just got home from work and the 2 look like **** i put a divider in the tank so the females are away from the male but the females are chaseing each other around so i was wondering what the deal was is this unusual.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
fighting for pecking order. it is not unusual. doesn't always get that rough, but sometimes it can.

doesn't matter whether they are so called "peaceful" species, all Malawi cichlids can have battles for pecking order.

·
Registered
842 Posts
off topic, but do you sell your fry from these guys?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes im going to be its this is the first batch i have gotten out of 2 out of 3 and i have about 120 fry im just waiting till they get bigger there about a 1/2 inch now

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
What are the dimensions of this thirty gallon breeder? Honestly it sounds like the tank is too small for their level of aggression, or not enough fish in the tank to spread aggression around.

·
Registered
48 Posts
peaking order does NOT mean just male either. females also take part in this. Just to clarify.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I think you either need a longer tank for these particular fish, or more fish for them to spread the aggression around.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
welll i vented them and the all have held eggs at least once and 2 have produced fry im very positive and for there size if they were male they would be showing a little color by now. and yes this species takes a very long time before the male is fully colored but it is well worth the wait.

·
Registered
495 Posts
yes the colors would take extra long in a tank that size, thats why i was concerned if you had a few sub males and not females.. if they are now starting to get aggressive its time for a larger tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You should add some fish for dither. My experience with yellow labs in my mating tanks has been great. Buy small ones - like juvie size, and add 4 to the mix. Should provide enough dither to get by the aggression

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well i was told put guppys in the fry tanks cause they are live bearers and there fry will e small enought for the mozambique fry to eat causeing them to grow faster. i was thinking about doing the same thing in the breeding tanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.