Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hello all. Haven't been on the site since 2004 but i'm back into fish again and have a few questions. So many different views on tank cycling wow. Ok 55 gallon tank up and running for 2 weeks 2 convicts 4 tiger barbs and a jewel. The jewel was a gift I wouldn't have put him in on my own but he holds his own good. Now of coarse the readings are crazy with ammo,nits and others. So I read to do a 20% water change everyday. But that was alot of work. So I stopped. Now I reduced feedings to once a day and when the ammonia reads 0.25-0.50 I add a cap full of prime. And change the water every 3 days or so. Is 1 feeding a day ok until the tank is cycled. By the way convicts already breeding!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Do daily testing and perform water changes to lower ammonia and nitrite as they approach 1ppm. Do your best to keep it under. I might reduce feedings to every other day, depending on how quickly the ammonia and nitrite rise from day to day.
Next time try a fishless cycle as it's easier on the fish.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um turns out they didn't like the new feeding time. They ate my tiger barbs alive. Only 1 remains. I'm blown away. Those guys are fast as ****. There are pieces of them every where. This is my fault for stopping the water changes. I'm so mad at myself right now. :( And a bit :oops: . They were a lively happy bunch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the lights turned on. Looks to me like the jewel and the female convict have large bellies. The female convict was giving chase last night, but I thought they were just getting to close to her spawn site. My daughter is crushed. The jewel is a beast though. She holds her own against a 5'' male con. Well just thought I would share so people don't make the same mistake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts